New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Crowning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dave Manson evidentally has a new device for rapid barrel crowning without having to put the barrel in a lathe. It's electric driven.
Read the post by Kortic at this thread link:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266924&goto=newpost

He says:

"Talked to Dave Manson regarding crowning of short barrel
handguns. Minimal length of the barrel required to secure pilot in the bore is approximately 1 3/4". For barrels of this length, pilot nut with a brush can be replaced with brushless nut, which is held by just fingers. He got those too as an option, so that people can do very short barrels, typical for pocket pistols and snubnose revolvers.

Also, he got an interesting gizmo - electric cutter driver, battery operated. Cuts actual crowning time from 3-4 minutes to 30-40 seconds, and it somehow also seriously improves crown finish by utilizing special spindle design. Seems like a very effective set-up: the whole cronwing process can be done in under 5 minutes, with no chatter, no lathe, no disassembly of the gun, and concentricity of the crown to the bore is pretty high by all standards.

Anyway, I'm going to get this toolkit with 9 expandable pilots, which should cover most of the calibers. Dave will be introducing this electric driver at ShotShow 2008, after
which it'll be available to public. He said I can get electric driver immediately after the show, so I did "get an option"
to buy it. For now, my tool kit comes with hand-driven driver. Looks like if I can do crowning in 5 minutes and charge $35, it's like being paid more than 400 bucks/hour, not bad, gentlemen, not bad at all..."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like talking to Dave, he is a no BS guy.

But take a benchrest rifle that shoots in the .1's and cut off the muzzle with a hack saw at a 15 degree bias.
The scope need to be re zero's but...What?
It still shoots in the .1's?

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
I like talking to Dave, he is a no BS guy.

But take a benchrest rifle that shoots in the .1's and cut off the muzzle with a hack saw at a 15 degree bias.
The scope need to be re zero's but...What?
It still shoots in the .1's?

There is a fair amount of evidence to suggest this is true. I have never personally had the time to do these experiments. Be that as it may, the fact is, customers want a clean uniform looking crown and if you can do it in 5 minutes versus an hour, well, you get the idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No individual has the time to do all the controlled accuracy experiments, so we make our way through the folklore investing faith and fear.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
saeed was supposed to finish an experiment on a brno rifle, but to my recollection he never finished the one a centerfire, the 22rimfire I think he went through the whole thing

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of it's been done before, but no conventional people like the results.

Saeed's Experiment

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote