New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floorplate Release Button
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In adding a "button" to the floorplate release on a 1909 guard, do you make a raised button and soft solder, silver solder, or weld it on? Or do you prefer to make a new release lever altogether with the raised segment integral to the lever?

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I think mine was just built up from weld. Can't imagine making it a more difficult task. If I were doing it thats what I would do.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get someone who knows what they are doing. I had a hack ruin one because he didn't realize it is case-hardened and needed to be annealed before attacking it with an arc welder.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Jim Kobe had some for sale on these forums.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clemson:
In adding a "button" to the floorplate release on a 1909 guard, do you make a raised button and soft solder, silver solder, or weld it on? Or do you prefer to make a new release lever altogether with the raised segment integral to the lever?

Clemson

I think the best way would be to use some mild steel stock and first file the curve you want, then use a needle/checkering file to cut the ridges. Cut it off and shape to fit the release lever curve and solder with low temp silver bearing solder. If you weld, you'll have to anneal the release first.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Don Markey has done a bit of this.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The easiest way of all is to purchase one ready made from James Anderson (SD)

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
The easiest way of all is to purchase one ready made from James Anderson (SD)

+1

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, get them from James Anderson. He sells them for less than the labor to build up an original or make one from scratch. His are almost a drop in and already checkered.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I make a new one from a little piece of flat bar. Not that hard just take your time.
Here's one i'm working on. Original on de

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote