New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building one of those 9.3s ... ?
 Login/Join

<Infidel>
posted
The 9.3x60something thread in the African forum is intriguing. I have never seen either cartridge in the flesh, and had not heard of them (besides the 9.3x74R) to notice until relatively recently, within the past year, best I remember, from Atkinson's mentioning them (and mentioning them, and mentioning them...).

So, suppose there is a person who is intrigued by these cartridges, but who is not a gunsmith and doesn't even know diddly about gunsmithing.

Suppose further that this person has an original (WWII) Mauser 98 barreled action or two that need rebarreling, action(s) in good shape.

Note that at least a couple of barrel makers, including Pac-Nor, list both the 9.3x62 and 9.3x64 as standard chamberings that they can furnish.

Now, what else is involved besides the new barrel in converting the 8x57 to 9.3x60something? I think that the bolt face has to be opened up. How about the extractor? Ejector? Feed rails? Other things that I don't know enough to ask about?

What would be a rough cost to have a good gunsmith do this? Ignoring additions such as a drop box magazine, or scope mounting, and besides the cost of installing the new barrel. Just the cartridge conversion. Just the modifications to the action. Would the scope of the work differ between the x62 and x64?

Thank you,

<Daryl Elder>
posted
The bolt face of the 9.3x62 is approx. the same as the '06. The 9.3x64 is sort of between the '06 and a belted magnum. The 62mm is readily available, the 64mm is scarce to say the least. The 64 has about a 300fps advantage over the 62 but the 62 is a great cartridge in it's own right.

<JK>
posted
Get the 9.3x62 and never look back. You can even get the 9.3x57(basic same case as 8x57) but slower than 62.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Second that JK. 9.3x62 is the way to go.

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Dear Infidel,

go for the 9,3x62 - it�s all you need for game bigger than roe deer!

If you�re interested of some ballistics for the 9,3x62, you can find them at Norma in Sweden: www.norma.cc

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
My smith rechambered my CZ550 in 62 to 64 without difficulty. As far as the availability of brass, RWS is the only mfg and is somewhat hard to come by. Brass can be made, however, from .458 Win brass. It's a simple matter of turning off the belts, turning down the rim a bit and running it through a full length sizing die. Dies are easy to come by for less than $100. If you don't have a lathe for turning the brass, Buffalo Arms will do it for you but I can't remember the cost. Cobalt

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I will build a 9.3x62, using 30-06 brass sounds good to me.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
Can a 9.3 x 62 be built on a Rem 700 action? Specifally a M700 action that used to be a 30-06.

ZM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeke, if it works with a 30-06, the action will fit the 9.3x62

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, with this popularity we'll soon be buying 9.3x62 ammo in a green box marked Remington.

I have a 9.3x62 reamer (Elliot) and headspace gauges that can be borrowed, if anyone is at that stage yet and doesn't want to buy their own. I also have a die reamer if you want to go all the way and make your own reloading dies.

I just recently received my 9.3 blank but it is, unfortunately, still a little ways down on the project list.

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
<JK>
posted
I agree, it's popular enough for Federal to make ammo and Ruger to make a production run of it in their MKII.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a simple converstion to 9.3x62...I do the metal work with my fingernail, don't need a lathe....open it up in back with a file and thats about it...most of the time you need to open the bolt face just a hair and sometimes not at all...The rails are normally just fine like they are...

you can use 06 brass but they are a little short of powder space for full loads...Brass is cheap from Norma.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sam B

If by chance you decide to sell your 9.3 X 62 reamers and guages, let me know, I would be interested.

I have a few old F K Elliott reamers myself, I kind of like them.

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Infidel>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
It is a simple converstion to 9.3x62...I do the metal work with my fingernail, don't need a lathe....open it up in back with a file and thats about it...most of the time you need to open the bolt face just a hair and sometimes not at all...The rails are normally just fine like they are...

Thank you. I thought that I had things all planned out for the next rifle,-- have a Mauser K98 rebarreled in .376 Steyr, but this 9.3mm stuff (mostly your comments) have me intrigued. The only drawback that I have seen so far is the realtively limited bullet selection in 9.3 compared to .375, but for my main purpose, the 286 gr. Nosler Partition would be ideal.

What grit fingernail do you use? 220? 320? 400?

Thanks,

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Actually, bullet weights for the 9.3 run from 193gr up to 320gr. Quite a few are produced in the U.S. such as Hawk, Swift, Noslers, A-Square, Speer, Barnes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, it comes not in a yellow/green box, but Winchester in their "Euro-line" load and market 9.3x62 and 9.3x74R ...

I have really seen them on a dealer�s shelf in Europe! Write to Winchester and raise hell that You want this ammo in the US, too!!

Good shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SamB, where did you get your 9.3x62 headspace gauges? I have been unable to locate a source. Thanks. -Fred

quote:
Originally posted by SamB:
Wow, with this popularity we'll soon be buying 9.3x62 ammo in a green box marked Remington.

I have a 9.3x62 reamer (Elliot) and headspace gauges that can be borrowed, if anyone is at that stage yet and doesn't want to buy their own. I also have a die reamer if you want to go all the way and make your own reloading dies.

I just recently received my 9.3 blank but it is, unfortunately, still a little ways down on the project list.

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred,
Call Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool, I bet he can fix you up with headspace gauges, reamers or whatever else you might need for chambering.
541 826 5808 is the phone number.

<JOHAN>
posted
Mr. Infidel

I would strongly recommend a plain old trusty 9,3X62. Bullet selection is growing and NOSLER, SWIFT, BARNES and NORTH FORK makes bullets in 9,3 of very good quality.

I would use factory made brass and not reform my self, It's a heck of work to select used brass and reform.

YES, I have a 9,3X62, a commercial FN mauser with Wisner safety.

Dave Kiff makes really nice reamers, I can recommend him.

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might be well served to just buying a CZ in 9.3x62. As far as bullets are concerned, you can get 250BT and 286 Partitions from Nosler; 270 softpoint semi-spitzers from Speer; and 286gr solids from Barnes on a regular basis. In addition, you can often pick up Lapau and Norma bullets in this caliber. Very versatile and loaded to 270pressures, one heck of a performer. Ku-dude