Find
Notify
Tools

Best Mauser Actions to Build a Custom Rifle On
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All,
I have built several rifles on various Mauser 98 actions (Mark X, VZ24, K98. I never really stopped to consider which of the many variations available is really best suited to build on. My question to all of you is which Mauser action do you prefer to build on and why? I am considering a Argentine 1909 for my next project. Would this be a good choice? Is the mag box long enough for bullets seated way out on say a 06 case? Say 3.395"?

For what it is worth, I generally build non-belted cartridges where no bolt modifications are needed. Past that I vary them greatly. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jason Sir:

I had two small ring Peruvian mousers that were very good actions well machined, however they would lend themselves to the shorter fatter cartridges better, one was 6mm/284 the other was 6.5mm/284 I think that if one was understanding of the chamber configuration with the Peru's one can build fine rifles. FWIW

Don't squat with yer spurs on.
Clarence

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Jason
I used an uruguayan action (1910) for my 9,3x62, it's a little more expensive than argentinians but it need less work for fatter cases, nothing to worry about but...nearly the same.
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
I happen to have 5 1909 Argentine Actions just waiting for more money to be put into them. They are a very nice action because they were beautifully machined throughout. They are the exact receiver as the 1908 Brazillian.

As far as cartridges, you can buy longer or short magazine boxes or you can modify the one that comes with the action, so don't let that stop you from using a 1909.

About the only thing to keep in mind is that those actions were built some time ago and were case hardened. that doesn't really mean here or there, except to say that if you do build one that uses a high pressure cartridge you then have to keep an eye on lug setback if you shoot the gun a lot. I actually have a friend who rebarrled a 1909 to 25-06. He shot the gun an awful lot, and eventually he had to remove the barrel and make adjustments for headspace due to lug setback.

One more thing. There are actually two different 1909 argentines. There is one made in Germany by DWM and there is one made in Argentina or some other place in South America. I have seen both actions and both look nice, and I have no actual knowledge that the ones made in South America present any problems. But you do want to make sure that whichever action you use, you have it checked out by a competent smith if you don't know yourself what you are looking for.

David Miller has made some absolutely beautiful .338 and .458 win mags on 1909 actions.

<allen day>
posted
Of the military Mausers, I like the 1909 Argentine the best of all because of it's fine machining and finish. The 1935 Chilean and VZ-24 are also great, and if you're looking for a lighweight action, the G33/40 is excellent and highly sought after. Of course, pre-WWII commercial Mausers are highly prized and beautifully-made, but they're scarce and expensive.

I see good Mausers such as the ones mentioned as worthy of the best gunsmithing possible. They won't be making any more of them, and eventually, the supply will dry up altogether.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorites are the 1935 Oberndorf mausers built for Brazil. These are super actions. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Can anybody say: CZ?

Ain't no better (or cheaper).

Look no farther than the Czech Republic for thy Mauser needs.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote