New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refinishing revolver
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have this POS snubby, nothing special, just a glove box gun and I would like to strip it and refinish it. Partially for it to look better, but mainly to learn how to.
The plan is to take it apart, strip it with fine sandpaper and refinish is with perma blue or something similar, but I am open to suggestions from experts here. Like paint it with HerculinerSmiler)

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'd rust blue it or if you're in a rush belgian blue it.

I did a nambu and a Swed Mauser in Pilkingtons rust blue. Both blued fine with out the need for a "humidty box".

Rich

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with richj, I would rust blue it. Laurel Mountain is a very forgiving rust blue. Nothing wrong with Pilkington's though.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I pray its not an old colt or smith and wesson! nilly

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen, I will do my homework in that direction.

And no, it is not SW or Colt - just EAASmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
revolvers can be a bitch to take apart & put together make sure its worth it

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right, butch, it was not easy.

But now I have a different problem. The body is aluminum, not sure how I am going to refinish that and wish I checked it before I started on it.

Now I am thinking Cerama Coat from Midway is proly the easiest finish. Or I can take it somewhere to have it hard anodized..

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
ANy anodize shop should be able to to hard anodize it for a basic fee of say $60
I actually did some anodizing on fishing reels in the garage. It's easier then you think and harder then you think all at the same time.
Keeping the process and parts clean is the key

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote