New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who fabricates magazine boxes?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for magazine boxes that are Cartridge specific that will fit the model 70 classic action. I also need a left handed follower to match.

I don't want them attached to bottom metal assemblies eigther. Anyone have any ideas?

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Chuck: As you probably know, the "new" pre 64's is a generic action so that with a few interchangeable pieces is supposed to feed most anything. Take a 458..notice the loop in the magazine spring? This prevents an extra round in the magazine..can easily be replaced by a spring without the loop, another ctg. can be accomodated, but everything gets whopper-jawed and pigeon toed. There is a fix in this case, but involves making a new box from scratch with wider front end. Of course the rails must be opened up, a pre 64 follower and spring and you've got a what really amounts to a properly set up pre 64 action....spendy! I can't see how a really properly done job can avoid rail work.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Kevin Wyatt of Wyatt's Outdoor in Oregon. His email is:
Info@wyattsoutdoor.com

Posts: 66 | Location: Montana | Registered: 26 July 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Chuck, Ted Blackburn makes proper magazine boxes and followers for the Model 70. I believe Dave Miller gets his magazine boxes and followers from Ted. These are of about the same profile as the ones D'Arcy Echols makes, but D'Arcy's are better in that they're made from thick, heat-treated stainless steel. Of course, you have to order a whole rifle from him to get one, and I doubt he'll ever sell them as seperate component parts.

That aside, Ted's are the best available on the secondary market that I'm aware of, and these work very well.

Duane's right, this sort of work is spendy. Getting the box and follower is one thing, but proper installation is something else again.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gentlemen.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote