New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restoration of a gun case.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a takedown guncase for my WR and wonder if it would be smart for me to send it to WR and have it restored. Is it worth the effort or should I buy a new one?

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,
Send it to Jim Wier, he is a guild member and very very good. He is going to restore a Henry case and french fit my little Henry .360 double rifle to it for me. Jim does great work.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Do you happen to have contact information for Jim.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to remember the name of a guy, nice guy too in email with him a fe years ago, I want to say in kansas city, case maker and restorer.

oop, got it, just took my brain kicking in a bit,

martin huey

Main Page
Restorations

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Wear, 307-745-0520

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually..it's Marvin Huey..he can bring back cases from the dead 816 444 1637

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. Does anyone have information on new cases?
Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huey also makes new cases.

Also, http://www.brooksandthomas.com/catalog/

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Craigster, I will give him a call today.
Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the above number but it is disconnected.
Anyone else have Marvin's contact info.
Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By a case, I assume you mean something very elegant? What about an aluminum case that can take the abuse meted out by airline baggage handlers? I had one custom-built for my big rifle. The boomstick is 55 inches long from muzzle to heel. No case is made that long that you can just go out and buy. The outfit that makes them will make them as long, deep and wide as you want. Mine is 59 inches long, 16 inches across and 6 inches deep. Interior is "egg crate" foam. Two airline-approved camming locks. Single, padded handle in middle, on lower half. Weighs 25 pounds. PM for more info...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Frank

http://www.hueycases.com/

Phone or Fax 785-842-0062

Rich

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the help. I spoke with Mr. Huey and he was kind enough to give me some important information.
I am speaking with Kade tomorrow.
I may not be able to afford the authentic restoration so I am looking at possibly buying another modern case instead.
Frank

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Frank, if you have a copy of Gun List, there is a guy with a 1-1/2" square ad . His name is Messina, in New York state and he does all levels of case restoration and makes very nice repro case labels. He is a great gentleman to talk too and while I have only bought labels from him, I am pretty sure that he is much more reasonable than Huey. He has been doing this for many decades and you might give him a call. We are remodeling and all my stuff is packed away or I would have his number for you.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Frank, if you have a copy of Gun List, there is a guy with a 1-1/2" square ad . His name is Messina, in New York state and he does all levels of case restoration and makes very nice repro case labels. He is a great gentleman to talk too and while I have only bought labels from him, I am pretty sure that he is much more reasonable than Huey. He has been doing this for many decades and you might give him a call. We are remodeling and all my stuff is packed away or I would have his number for you.

This would be the guy I think:
M.MESSINA
1693 ROYAL RD EAST MEADOW, NY 11554
Voice: 1-516-794-1979

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having also had a case "restored" at Westley Richards I think that you might be disappointed with the results when compared to the cost. I'd look elsewhere next time!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Messina restored the inside of a Holland & Holland bolt action rifle case for me a few years ago, did a nice job at a resonable price.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I may not be able to afford the authentic restoration so I am looking at possibly buying another modern case instead.

The aluminum one I wrote about earlier can be had in about six weeks. I paid a total of $375 for the whopper I had made. You can call Mark Fore & Strike Sportin' Goods in Reno and ask for the gun counter. (775) 322-5571

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote