New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lothar-Walther 8x57 barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lothar-Walther offers a prechambered and contoured barrel in 8x57IS that I was considering for an FN Mauser. Their website shows the internal dimensions of this barrel to have a .323" groove diameter and a .311 (!) bore diameter, making the lands .006" high instead of the common .004". I've never seen such a deep groove on a barrel and am wondering if anyone has any experience with the L-W barrels or similarly deep grooves.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Not in the 8 m/m, and not Lothar Walther, but I've had numerous older English barrels which had grooves that deep.

They were made perhaps 90-115 years ago and the grooves were that deep because of the considerable erosion caused by the early, high nitro, cordite and other propellants. They worked fine with modern bullets and powders for me, with no problems.

Of course I didn't load them to absolute max, either, as that just wasn't ever my "thing".

I wouldn't worry too much about it, just work up your loads, as I'm sure you already do.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, you may already be aware but someone was offering a LW 8mm barrel in the AR classified section a little while ago. You might take a look if you haven't already.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My second project rifle, Stonecreek, was a 1909 with a Lothar Walther long chambered 6.5x55 barrel.

It commonly shot five shot 100 yard groups in the .3xxs.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,
I had a 30-06 #2 contour and shot less than an inch with the first load I tried in it. Good barrels I think.
Regards,
Terry

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Stonecreek, you may already be aware but someone was offering a LW 8mm barrel in the AR classified section a little while ago. You might take a look if you haven't already.

Yes, I saw that, but it was a heavier contour than I'm interested in. I'm looking to build a very light, European-type sporter (but with a cheekpiece high enough to actually see through a properly low-mounted scope!)

I actually find the prospect of very deep grooves appealing. I was just wondering why L-W uses deep grooves in its 8mm barrels, but more conventional groove in other calibers. I guess I could ask them, but you guys are more entertaining. Smiler

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must be a European thing. If I remember correctly, on the K31 the Swiss used a 308 groove, but .297-.298 bore as opposed to the normal .300. They were doing tight bores seventy years before it became the standard in Palma and LR. They are also some of the most accurate military rifles ever produced.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote