THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: 375 H&H from VZ 24 Mauser action question

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 375 H&H from VZ 24 Mauser action question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There are several sources for the 9.3x64mm brass.

Buffalo Arms has it.

Huntington carries it

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Think again about that 9.3X64 the brass is very hard to find, and while the ballistics is up there with the H&H the bullet weights and types are not as comprehensive. I don't know anyone in SA who owns one, as the brass is unheard of and there's no parent, unless you want to turn the belts off of 338 cases and fireform them. (I believe this is the way to get them)

Making a H&H magnum out of a VZ24 is not a major mission, there are just some rules that must be followed to do a good job. I had one 300H&H on a 1908 Brazilian set back because the gunsmith broke one of the rules. It was replaced by a VZ24 done by a different gunsmith.

Our top 'smiths here in SA do this routinely. The most sought after actions for H&H conversions are VZ24's, followed by the FN's.

Cheers

pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
lay in a big stock...

and at 21.95 per 50 from midway, 300 pieces is less than 150 bucks...

it requires opening the boltface, 10 mins on feeding, and it holds a TON of rounds down.

you shoudl have seen the faces of the guides at camp cooley while i stuffed FIVE into the mag and loaded the 6th on top!!

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
is this a straight forward job for a smith or would there be better choice of calibers for the 8mm mauser action. really looking for a bare bones job, bolt, drill tap, true, barrel, blue. prob use a shilen barrel #3 contour at 22inches.

thanks,

ned

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can be readily done but requires a good amount of work to the action. The action will need to be opened up, bolt face opened, and feed rails altered. Plus you will need new bottom metal that will accomodate the length. That doesnt include the bolt handle, safety or other work. It really is a job for a very competent smith.

I am doing one on a 1909 action, but my personal reccomendation is that unless you are going to go all out and make a very nice full custom rig you are much better off going with a commercial gun in 375. It would be far cheaper. But if you want to make a very nice custom rig you can do so with the VZ24 action.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
"you are much better off going with a commercial gun in 375. It would be far cheaper"

An Interarms Whitworth Mauser 375 at around $550-$650 is hard to beat. Sure can't build one from a military Mauser for that.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
You can also pick up a CZ for around the same price range. I have seen Browning Safari's built on the Mausers for sale on GunsAmerica for $600-$1000 also. But you have to be careful of getting a salt gun.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ned,
I am just north of Houston, and you can shot my 376 styer in a mexican mauser... While I am loaded to higher pressure than 375 classic (and less than hornady factory loads for the 376) I am getting 2500 with a 300 gr hornady and 2900 with a 225 (the hornady commerical 225 bullet is a reduced recoil round)

it holds FIVE down

other than the bolt face, feeding took all of 10 mins to perfect.

I even have a reamer

jeffe

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I'd far rather use a commercial whitworth or similar action for the task than a VZ-24.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the input guys, learn something new every day, glad i asked. thanks jeffe, i'll contact you sometime, i'm down in clear lake.

ned

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Of course the easiest solution for that particular action is simply the 9.3x64 which is designed to fit into a standard length action and gives the same down range results as the .375.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"you are much better off going with a commercial gun in 375. It would be far cheaper"

An Interarms Whitworth Mauser 375 at around $550-$650 is hard to beat. Sure can't build one from a military Mauser for that.

I have to agree. I got into the same project. I purchased a modern mauser action with a tang safety. I sent it off to Harry McGowen to be barreled, blued, etc. That was about $500.00 I got the stock from Richards for about $200.00 Considering the cost of the action, I am in over the value of the final rifle. In addition, Harry had to mill out the magazine to accept the 375. Now I have it all in one place, I realized that magazine will only hold 3 rounds.

The CZ's are made by the same folks who made the VZ24. I would have been better off just getting a new CZ.

I do have a custom VZ24 that Harry made up for me years ago. They are great actions, but you have to decide that you really want that rifle for a very long time.

Pete

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what old sarge said the 9.3x64 would be an easy fit with same power as the H&H.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks again, looks like the 9.3x64 is the ticket. can brass be made or is it available? did not see brass on midawayusa.com.

ned

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ned,
you are being mislead!!! the 376 is the supersecret round!!

it is a 375, not a 366, and hornady makes the brass!!

jeffe