New
Find
Notify
Tools

need Mauser guru!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am getting ready to expand my Mauser collection and most of them are iron sight rifle stock configuration. Some are pretty valuable and I don't want to perminantly modify them. I am looking for a couple of the older Lyman bolt release peep sights.I think they are the Lyman 35 or 37?????/
The one I want replaces the bolt release on the mauser and has both windage and elevation adjustments AND does not require inletting into the stock. Just a replacement. I know that they will not be supremely accurate but if used as a ghost ring it should do well out to 150 yards on larger African species.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I've owned two types of Lyman #35s. Both required stock cuts. Last one I saw sold for $250 on ebay. You are right not to alter a vintage Mauser, unless it has already been butchered.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lb404,
The lyman 35 came in two models. Standard and deluxe. The deluxe model had a small knurled wheel that raised and lowered the sight. The standard did not have that. I saw an old ad for them, the price was $12. It was circa 1900.

I have had 2 of them and sold one to Paul Dressel.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
is there a web sight that would show all of the various types?
I didn't see you in Reno, what givea with you and Stratton???? Hell Blackburn wasn't there either. Are you all quitting or what.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Old Gunsights, A Collectors Guide, by Nick Stroebel is the standard reference.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of the deluxe version. I picked this one up recently.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lb404,
Mark did the shot show in Vegas and I was just too busy to attend this year. I will be there next. I don't know what Ted's reason is.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lb 404,
Have you considered a bolt peep such as on some of the old English rifles...I have a friend that makes them for me from time to time, but I think that NECG makes them...I know someone in the US is making them...also a fellow in RSA is making them..

I have been looking for such a sight for my Hoffman as I don't want to scope it and have to change maybe the bolt and for sure the safty..however I could change the safty and just keep the original safty..I'm working on it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote