New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt 1917 Barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Colt 1917/New Service in .45 ACP that needs a new barrel. I found one, but it is an "after-market" type with vent-rib that I don't care for.

How tough is it to have a barrel made for one of these? Does anyone know who could do such work? Does anyone have a barrel for one of these laying around? Wink

Thanks!

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I might have one or two.
I can't really speak about the condition except for the fact that it came out of Mexico and since it was dug up (probably literally) it has sat in a damp shed for 20+ years.

So in other words it is not going to be a brand new tack-driver.
PM me as far as what you are willing to spend as well as preferred barrel length.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Numrich Arms.

They usually have a real good selection of used and new barrels for that model.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just saw one on EBay. Don`r remember the # but go there and type in gun parts in the search gizzy and work your way through. There is a way to go to a quicker search but I do not know how to do it. Good luck. Seems[?] there were 2-3 days left.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first place I checked was Numrich/e-gunparts.com - they are out of them, and have been for a couple of months.

I did find the one on e-bay - thanks for the tip.

Cliff - If I don't get the one on ebay, then I'll check on the others mentioned above. Naturally, the price would depend somewhat on the condition - is the bore good? How much rust/pits are there on the outside? and so on. I shop your store regularly for reloading supplies and have bought more than one gun from you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Calif. Hunter,

That model is one of the easier ones to have barrels made for since there is no need for a cylinder lock up feature like on S&W’s.

Give Jim Hoag in Canoga Park a call...he’s a great pistolsmith. His number is: (818) 998-1510.

He‘s done work for me in the past and he’s real good and his prices are very competitive.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip! I'll give him a call if it ends up that I need to have a barrel made. If I can find a barrel, my brother can put it on - he works at Bolsa Gunsmithing. He could probably turn a barrel, thread it , etc. if I bought a .45 blank, but his boss keeps him cranking out warranty work, since they are a factory shop for Weatherby, Baretta, Remington and they handle the rturns for Big 5. He is not allowed a lot of time for true custom smith work.