New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage bolt head
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Midway handles replacement barrels and Savage action parts for a swap or switch barrel system. Have been playing with a bunch of them for a few months.

Tried for the first time to use the 416 Taylor barrel which requires a change in bolt head from the original standard '06. Pulled out the Midway provided replacement magnum size bolt head. Found that the firing pin will not slide through the appropriate firing pin hole.

Two choices. Take another '06 bolt head (which I have) and open it to magnum proportions. Or open the firing pin hole in the magnum bolt head.

Recommendations ?

This does not appear to be a simple, one part quality problem. I have six Midway provided replacement bolt heads -- two each in 223, '06, and H&H Magnum. Both magnum ones appear to have a smaller firing pin hole and the other four (223 and '06) appear to be the same.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Nice of them to do it that way.

Either you or your smith can ream it to the proper size... which beats the HELL out of a too large firing pin hole...

enjoy the taylor, it's a ball.

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They sell two firing pin hole size bolt heads. Somewhere at Sniper's Hide there is an article about this (I looked but couldn't find it quickly) I believe that 1996 was the year they changed. Contact SharpShooter Supply or Midway for the correct Bolt Head. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<RVB>
posted
What nice guys! Selling you a bolt head with an undersized hole so you can ream it to a perfect fit for your firing pin. Wish all manufactures would do it this way!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a 416 Taylor from a 25/06 and ran into the same problems with the bolt head switch. I had to drill out the firing pin hole at the REAR of the bolt head--NOT the hole in the bolt face, that was the same on both heads. I also had to grind down the "tab" on the bolt that, on my model, would not allow the bolt head to function properly (you'll see it if it's a problem), no big deal. Mic your pin shank and tap the rear bolt head hole just slightly over and you're done. See the following thread for additional info:

http://www.nookhill.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=005316

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote