Find
Notify
Tools

Best bet for prefit pad for No. 1?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I'd like to replace the old red pad on my circa 1979 Ruger No. 1. In choosing between Limbsaver, Kick-Eez and Pachmayr, which is likely to give the best fit and satisfaction?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Limbsaver. I had to elongate the holes to line up with the holes in the stock, but not much of a problem.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Pachmayr Decelerator in the old English reddish/orange. After the "melting" Limbsaver debacle a number of years ago . . . I would never buy or recommend someone buy one of their products.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, I went and bought the last Limbsaver that fits at my local Sportsman's Warehouse. Of course, I have to glue dowels in the existing screw holes and re-drill.
Mike, I hope they don't melt any more! Surely that would have been an easy fix for Sims Vibration.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I have used all and have ground all to fit stocks. None in the pre-fit category look as good as one properly ground to fit. Your thickness of pad is also a consideration of which to use. Competition guns get Kick-Eez or Pachmayr Decelerator. Rifles of normal caliber get Pachmayr or Kick Eez. ( notice the order preference) Magnum rifles for rifles and recoil sensitive people get Pachmayer Deceleratot or Limbsaver (although I dislike working with the material). Customer's choice.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Prefit Limbsaver on my 450-400 No.1. Works very well.

The melting problems seem to be in the past, when the pad was installed on my 375H&H magazine rifle Frowner

DRSS

Posts: 1976 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dennis, I agree a properly ground pad beats a prefit every time. It's hard going through life being cheap and impatient.
The Limbsaver is going on a No. 1 in 7X57, just for a bit more length of pull and because I never cared for original Ruger pads.
For what it is worth, I e-mailed Sims up in Shelton, WA, and asked them specifically if they changed their polymer formulas to address the "melt" issue. Will report when I hear back.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Here's what Limbsaver had to say about the break-down issue:

William,
Our rubber supplier sent us a bad batch of material a while back and we did have an issue with the pads breaking down. It was quite the mess figuring it out. I was baffled when I first started getting calls and took us a little bit to figure out what had happened.
That being said, We stand behind our product 100% and have been replacing the effected pad at no charge to our customers. So if you ever have an issue with the pad please contact us and we will take care of it for you.

--
Bill Barnhart
Technical/Warranty Manager

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Here's what Limbsaver had to say about the break-down issue:

William,
Our rubber supplier sent us a bad batch of material a while back and we did have an issue with the pads breaking down. It was quite the mess figuring it out. I was baffled when I first started getting calls and took us a little bit to figure out what had happened.
That being said, We stand behind our product 100% and have been replacing the effected pad at no charge to our customers. So if you ever have an issue with the pad please contact us and we will take care of it for you.

--
Bill Barnhart
Technical/Warranty Manager

Ask them if they are replacing carpet, hardwoods, gun cases and other materials that were ruined by the bad pads too? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Ask them if they are replacing carpet, hardwoods, gun cases and other materials that were ruined by the bad pads too? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

........................................................................ tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Pachmayr on my Searcy double.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote