Find
Notify
Tools

Brain Fart or Brain Storm?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I was cleaning up some stuff today and took a close look at a Winchester M70 (post-64) Classic Sporter that I have in 7mm STW. I noticed that it is a CRF action. That got me thinking. Roll Eyes

When I check the dimensions of the 7mm STW, the case length is 2.850 and the end of the case is .532. When I check the dimensions of the .458 Lott, the case length is 2.800 and the end of the case is .532. One cartridge is belted of course and the other is not.

My question, it would seem to me that converting this action to a Lott should be pretty darn simple. The bottom metal should be fine, the action should not have to be trimmed, the bolt face is already opened up, already drilled and tapped, three position safety installed, etc. Is this as simple as getting a .458 Lott barrel and having the barrel mounted and headspaced (and having sights installed of course) or am I missing something significant? I like the Winchester action and having one in a .458 Lott would be nice.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your are correct. Except for making sure it feeds correctly, it is just a re-barrel job. The STW is built on what Winchester called the "Express" action. I had one in 416 that I re-barreled to 470 Capstick. It took a bit of work to get it to feed correctly. Mostly, modification to the follower and removing some metal from the inside/top of the magazine box (not the rails) in the area of the cartridge shoulder to accomodate the larger diameter case. In original condition, the cartridges would pop out of the magazine unexpectedly when operating the bolt. Also, some work on the feed ramp for the larger diameter bullet.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both the Lott and the STW are based on the H&H BELTED case.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your rifle would readily convert into a 416 Rem Mag. Advice is worth what it costs, yadda, yadda, yadda, but, I believe you would be much happier in the end with the 416 Rem Mag than the 458 Lott.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
LD,

I have a Winchester M70 in .416 Rem Mag already (the Safari Classic or whatever it is called version). That is the rifle that I was referring to when I said that I really like the action. They seem smoother that most of the other comparably priced bolt actions.

I was mistaken about the 7mmSTW being unbelted, the rear of the cases on the 7mmSTW and the .458 Lott are identical. The OAL of the Lott is slightly shorter which should help on feeding. I am convinced that stepping this up to a .458 Lott should be as close to a piece of cake as is possible.

Do any of the good quality barrel makers make prechambered, threaded barrels for the M70?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike most of the barrel makers make a chambered barrel for the lott, I used Pacnor for my 470 Capstick on a similar conversion. If you want to use factory parts (stock, barrrel bands, sights, etc) get the number 5 contour and it will be the same as your 416, so you can use all the same parts. As to the cartridge the stw is a belted mag on the 375 h&h case as is the 458 lott so it make a relativly simple conversion. Good luck

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have rebarreled several STW's to .450 Ackley also.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Don't you have one or two Lotts already (or in the works)? Or is is just 458 Win Mags?

You have been on quite the rifle spree the last year or so! clap

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i think he's suffering from chapuis withdrawal....... and tip needs to work on my .416, so he doesn't need another project.... at least untill june....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Turn it into a 404 Jeffery. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I must confess, the .404 Jeffery thought did cross my mind. Wink

Mike