Find
Notify
Tools

300 H&H Options on a Model 70 Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I've been thinking about a 300 H&H and a Model 70 platform for some time. I have neither a 300 H&H nor a Model 70. I've looked around at some pre-64 Model 70's in 300 H&H, but you would be taking a chance on the barrel condition. So, I figured start with a new Model 70 platform or a recently produced one.

Question:
Which would be the better route to go below. For example, I have no clue on the internal lengths of the Model 70 actions and whether all long actions are the same, so forgive me if I made some false assumptions.

Choices:
Rebarrel 375 H&H Model 70 to 300 H&H
Rechamber, change bolt face and follower on 30-06
Start with 300 WM and set barrel back far enough to clean it up for a 300 H&H shoulder
Other Options?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cost-wise, the best bet would be to re-chamber the '06. You would have to set a 300WIN mag back an inch and a half to get it to clean up.
I would also recommend getting a 375 magazine box. I would also open the loading port to the rear to ensure a loaded round will eject cleanly. Also, replace or shorten the ejector blade. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3768 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I just remove the spacers in the 06 and short mag boxes; then they will feed anything. Easiest to start with an 06 as they are cheapest and easiest to find.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I just remove the spacers in the 06 and short mag boxes; then they will feed anything. Easiest to start with an 06 as they are cheapest and easiest to find.

Cool - thanks. And they have shorter barrels, want a 24", not a 26"!

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If you look for a bit you may be able to find one of the 300 H+H made in the 80's. The only objection to some would be that it will be push feed. I bought one when they came out and have been very happy with it.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
If you look for a bit you may be able to find one of the 300 H+H made in the 80's. The only objection to some would be that it will be push feed. I bought one when they came out and have been very happy with it.

This is what I did recently. Picked one up off GunBroker. Just need to get the scope mounted and take it to the range.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My brother has a push feed model 70 in 300 H&H. Found it on Gunbroker. Real nice rifle and really accurate with factory rounds. Had a very heavy trigger but we worked that over.
I think he will use it for his Colorado Moose this year.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what dpcd said, plus one!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Mine started life as a Model 70 Classic in 7 REM MAG. When I bought it I wasn't looking for a donor, I wanted a 7MAG. The .30-06 as a starting point ain't a bad idea if a new barrel isn't in the plans. The modifications that I remember were removing the magazine spacer, pushing the spring under the follower flat so it would hold 3 down, shortening the ejector by 0.10" and a new barrel and sights. Of coarse with a .30-06 donor opening the bolt face would be a must.

People on here proclaimed it wouldn't work because I didn't open the action. It did and functioned beautifully. Never a moments trouble with feeding loading or unloading. Loaded bullets ejected without hitting the front ring and it feed as smooth as glass.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
TC1 those bases look like a set I have from Michael Scherz, Gila River gun works?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

I know where a nice one is worth the money if anybody wants one of those.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37873 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
TC1 those bases look like a set I have from Michael Scherz, Gila River gun works?

Yes, Michael made those.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duncans Gunworks in San Marcos CA (San Diego area) has a beautiful Pre 64 Model 70 300 H#H for sale. I believe it is a consigned gun. The rifle has been re-stocked with gorgeous wood. The rifle was in excellent condition. Asking price was $3000.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go with a 30-06 you will need to either remove the mag spacer or replace the box, change the follower (or hope the old one works), and change or modify the ejector and cut/ replace the bolt stop. Its up to you whether you want "good enough" or "right". After that you need to open up the bolt-face, trim up the extractor and rechamber. With some luck the new 1-28" pitch barrel thread won't bugger you up. That still leaves the port being shorter than the Express versions. It may work like that, but you have to decide whether the rifle you are building is going to be an exercise in it being the best it can be or one of how many corners you can cut. The little parts start adding up, there's a little more work for the gunsmith, but you will save buying a barrel.

If you start with a .375 you're probably looking at an Express which would make an absurdly heavy .300 H&H. Factor in a new stock to go which the new barrel you will need. The little action/mag/follower/bolt-face mods won't be needed.

If you can find a sporter that was make in STW or .300 Weatherby, or a .375 with a lighter contour barrel then a simple rebarrel is all you need. Finding one might be a trick.

The new M70 Alaskan in .375 is a natural for a straight rebarrel. The weight given on the website is way out to lunch, mine weighs 8.2 pounds with a Leupold 3.5-10 mounted. Everything I've seen about the newest production M70s would steer me to one of the new ones.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
If you aren't totally enamored with a CRF, there are a few push-feed Model 70's available in 300 H&H.
I picked up one at auction a few months ago. Someone had found and put on 4X wood, apparently from the Custom Shop, as I have seen no Super Grades with such fine wood. Got it for a very low price.
Patience may be a key for finding one by that route.
Good luck in your search.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one done on a pre-64 action, shilen barrel and McMillan stock all ready to go. Just waiting on the guy from OZ to pay me so I can get it exported. May have to sell it eventually if....

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id just buy a good used 300 H&H..have a smith check the crispness of the throat if possible or take it to the range if possible, but you take that chance anytime you buy a gun or barrel...Ive own a number of 300 H&H used mod. 70's and they all shot well. I can't think of a better 30 cal. magnum..I shot the 200 gr. Noslers at 3020 FPS for years and that is simply and awesome killer of about anything you can shoot with it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
A friend has a pre-war M70 in 300 H&H in perfect condition he wants to sell me. I need to look at it. Will report back.