New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which scope for a lightweight rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am in the process of putting together a lightweight deer/goat/sheep/caribou rifle. Once the rifle is ready, I want to put a good quality scope on the rifle but I don't want the scope to rob from the lightweight of the rifle. So what is the best compromise of optical quality versus weight in the scope market today? I guess I should get input on bases and rings as well. Thanks.

C_ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
For the money a Leupold V-1 2X7 and regular Weaver mounts will do a very good job. I suppose someone may pick a scope with no objective bell to save weight and that would work. We don't really need a lot of power for game hunting but at the range it's nice and the fixed power scopes are priced high in my opinion.

The Weaver mounts are strong, easy to tip off and back on and cost little. Again you can spend more and gain looks but that's about all you will gain.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would take a look at some of the straight 6X scopes...light, rugged and probably all you need for what you describe. If you want a variable I like the Swarovski 3x10x42mm...that's their 1" American model scope....but it's a lot more that a good 6X would cost.

With respect to mounts, take a look at Darrell Holland's system if you have a Rem 700. The bottom of the rings and the mount base are one piece and very light....they're going on my next rifle.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Don; the VX-I 2-7 (or it's counterpart in VX-II, if you want those features) is an excellent light weight scope. It has great eye relief, wide field of view, and plenty of magnification for big game. The 1.5-6X Vari-X III, if you prefer that line, is similar in size and weight.

I don't recommend a straight 6X, because in a "standard" scope they tend to be bulky, and in a compact they tend to have limited eye relief and field of view. With a "mountain" rifle, although you anticipate long shots, you never know when you may jump you quarry at close range when passing through thick timber.

I also have 3-9 and 2-7 Leupold Compacts, and while they are good scopes, they have a more limited eye relief and a bit more critical eye alignment requirement, making them a bit "slower" for a game rifle. That's why I recommend the "full size" 2-7 Leupold (which is actually a very light and compact scope).

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
Croy:

I'd fully support what Stonecreek posted. I would also consider possibly a straight 4X. All of my rifles are lightweights. (My heaviest is a 25-06 @ 6lb/5oz scoped, my lightest will be a sub 5 lb. scoped) I use Leos on all of them. Leo is probably not the very best optically anymore but they are very very good, lighter than anything else, and have the flexible eye relief that the (S,Z,K) scopes do not have.

S.C. is spot on about the Compact 3X9 in that it's eye relief is critical in nature. The new 2X7 VXII is more forgiving in that respect and weighs about 1.5 oz. more.

I use Weaver bases on all my rifles now, and have good luck with several different light rings. The Burris "Zee" if you like steel, and the Millet vertical split ultralights, for alloy. You can get your optics package in at about 12.5-13.5 oz. I have not tried the Millets on a real hard kicker, but the Burris's have been great on my 338-08.

The sub 5 lb. rifle will get a 1X5 VXIII, a 2X7 VXII or maybe a 4X.

Hope this helps.

<Cossack>
posted
Current issue of Rifle Shooter features straight 6x's by Nikon and Burris, that look like they would do the job. Less than 12" long and about the same weight in ozs. Nikon has 42mm bell, Burris' is 40mm. I've got an older 3-9 Burris Compact that's like 11.5" long and weighs next to nothing, but don't know where to find one. E-Bay?

one of us
posted Hide Post
A stright 4X will cover any hunting situation known to man and it has less to go wrong in the back country....Next choice is a 1.5x5 Leupold varible if you must.....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RAy I was sure you were going to say a 1.5x Noske.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Leupold 1x4 on my current mountain rifle; it's light and fast. Like Ray said, tho, a fixed 4 would be excellent. I'm considering a fixed 2.5 for my new light rifle.

Lotta times on mountain goats, lower power is better. I can think of several times where a bayonet would have been more useful than a scope.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of leupolds M8 2.5x compact. I think alot more is made out of the need for higher mag scopes then is actually needed. Maybe I have mutant eyes, but I've never been able to improve the groups on my 350 Rigby when putting on a 6X as opposed to the 2.5, and I have grouped 3/4 moa with the 2.5X.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
C-ROY,
I have a Leupold Vari-X III in 1.5x-5x that I really like. This scope is on my .308 Win. right now. It has covered all my needs no matter which I've had it on. Optics are great, large field of view on 1.5x and 5x has always been enough magnification for hunting. It may well be worth your time too check on it. Good luck. [Big Grin]