New
Find
Notify
Tools

This years project mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well a couple of weeks ago I ordered a stock and barrel combo from Midway. The stock is the "Corelite" and the barrel was a Adams and Bennet in 270. The action is an Parker Hale version FN 98. With very little trouble I have a rifle that shoots great groups and fits the description of a plains rifle. I put it together for an atelope hunt I drew out for in Wyoming. The barrel is very smooth and no copper fouling can be detected. The stock could use some redesign (thick at grip) but otherwise was relatively easy to fit.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's all you need.
Let us know how it shoots.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel fit the channel very closely but had a little flex at the front end so I "bedded" it with black automotive silicone at the forend tip to do away with the play and not have a hard surface touching the barrel. I only shot 30 rounds as it was 100 degrees in the shade. The factory load, 150 grain Power points from Winchester shot into 1 1/2 inch for all ten shots. The other twenty rounds were 130 hornady spire points on top of 59 grains of H4831 fired by CCI 200 primers in Winchester brass. These were used to fine tune the sight in and made several groups of 3 into 3/4 of an inch. I can't wait till the barrel gets broke in a bit. The barrel got pretty hot but did not change point of impact.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote