Find
Notify
Tools

What sort of Mauser is this?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted
Okay, I've went and made an impulse purchase and probably paid too much (I'm not telling how much - it might get back to my wife ). I just really wanted a Mauser to play around with, learn from, take apart, maybe do a little upgrade/sporterize (nothing fancy) now and then. Now I want to know what it is (Model, etc.) because I don't think it is what I thought it was. It is in 7x57mm caliber.

It also has a bit of a headspace problem. If dangerous, is it worth rebarreling or should I donate it to the junk bin. The barrel and action have matching serial numbers but not the bolt. Any info will be appreciated.

I will also post in the Military/Military Surplus section.

The date stamped is 1927.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spanish M1916, see my post on the Milsurp board.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whats a M1916?

Thats a m93 spanish mauser. made at fabrica de armas in Oviedo Spain.

With a hindged floor plate from industries de guerra de cataluna arsenal.

I think the ones with the hole in the left side front ring(like yours} are sometimes rechambered in 308 and are too weak for modern 308 pressures

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
This Mauser is not comparable to the M98 as far as strength goes, and would be dangerous to fire if it truely has a headspace problem. Did you have it checked by a gunsmith who has 7X57mm headspace gauges?

If it had correct headspace, it could be fired with STANDARD, not light magnum/hienergy!! U.S. factory ammo.

It is NOT worth rebarreling, or spending any money on, at all. If you want a Mauser for some serious sporterization, save your money and get a good M98 type, such as the M1909 Argentine or the Venezuelan M1924 FN! They make into some of the finest custom rifles ever made!

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
It's a collector piece, not sporter material. Not highly valuable, but a nice item. Don't scrap it without contacting me first. I run the International Depository for Undesired Mausers. I'll see that it's safely disposed of.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
To all that replied,

Been to the hunting lease this weekend, so I've been able to catch up. Thanks very much for all the excellent information/advice. I think I've accomplished my goals of learning quite a bit. This one will probably move on so that I can learn from something else.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
For a small price this one could be yours. PM an offer. I don't actually have to make back my money.