New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making turnscrews
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I may have asked this before, sorry if I did.

First, on "turnscrews", read fancy screwdriver, why is it that the blade shape is normally so damned ugly?

2- Are there blanks or what do you all use for making the turnscrew?

I would like to make some, have a grinder but no lathe so that is why I am asking about something partially shaped I could finish up. I have a coworker whos father does wood turning and I was thinking of having him make some handles for me to my specs. I have a blank I am sending off in the next few months to get turned and think there are some scrap pieces large enough to turn the handles from, would match the gun really great I think.

Thoughts?

3. after grinding, what am I look at as far as the tempering? will it matter if I keep the temp down, keep dunking it in water during the grinding? Or will I need to torch then quench later?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
A proper gunsmiths screwdriver has the face of the bit flat, not tapered. Look at the bits from Brownells for a reference.

I think you'll have a tough time keeping the temper while grinding, so would recomend heat treating after you finish the work. It is also easier to work on annealed steel. I'd probably go with a chro-mo steel, as screwdrivers can't be too strong. My ideal screwdriver would be one or two rockwell points lower then where the big will crack.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red,
Ray Price used to use various sizes of drill rod to make screw drivers and chisels. Get some Kasenite from Brownells to heat treat after you are done. You can forge the shape after you head it and then grind the shape you want. Ray used to shape the handles out of scrap English walnut. I always got one or two chisels from him for Christmas presents.

Just needed a moment to reflect on him. Back to the real world now, but much better because of him.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What the nice fellow is talking about is the the screwdrivers that accompany nice custom rifles and shotguns and are ugly as sin. The blades look like a tapered wood chisle.

Here is a link http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/turnscrews.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
First, on "turnscrews", read fancy screwdriver, why is it that the blade shape is normally so damned ugly? Red

I always thought that the English turnscrew was attractive.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael, I agree with you. I only wish I could afford them. I have my original Brownells set, along with approx. 75 other shaped bits, and it looks like they have been through a war.

You do have to know Red to appreciate the comment, lol.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I do think that the shape is ugly. But then again I haven't used them, maybe there is a functional reason? And maybe they aren't meant for real use?

Here is my critique of it, the handle doesn't seem well shaped for use. With the wide paddle end it wouldn't be comfortable for me to turn. the blades themself show no style, just a straight taper from full width to the tip. mmm....

I don't know what would solve it though,a round shank that transitions to the flat like on your standard screwdrivers? That woult give a better look there at the ferrule.

I saw an article in the back of one of my woodworking magazines that profiled a guy that makes fishing rod handles by laminating together different woods then turning, result is beautiful designs in the handle. I thought as soon as I saw it they would be great for file, rasps and TURNSCREWS! Smiler

If I can find the magazine (might be packed already) then I will scan it and post pics.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red,
Think about it this way. Some guy with megabucks buys a side by side from H&H or Rigby and in the case is a brass bottle of oil and another that may hold who know's what and a set of "turn screws". Do you think this guy is actually going to do any gun mechanic work?

Back to the real topic. The wide handle will actually help with torque and will not slip as much as a round one. I think the ones posted with the light colored handles have a better shape, but handles made of ebony would look good. BUT, laminated multicolored stuff on gun gear? Remind me over a beer next year to reprimand (severely about the head and shoulders) you for that. Smiler

Chic Worthing

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I sorta agree with the fella who said proper turnscrews have a flat, square-ended blade...but not entirely,
]
For most modern bolt guns, a flat, square-ended blade works best, BUT....in a lot of the older higher priced Brit & European guns they don't.

I would substitute instead a statement that a properly shaped turnscrew precisely fits the slot of the screw to be turned. That means almost the full width of the head of the screw, and of the same shape as the alot in the screw. A lot of older Brit & European bespoken rifles had wedge or sharp chisel shaped slots...and for them a flat bottomed. parallel-sided turnscrew is almost guaranteed to sooner or later mar the rifle when removing/reinstalling screws.

Many of my cased Egnlish rifles in particular had a buffalo-horned turnscrew included in the french-fitted case for each of the major dimensions of screws in the rifle. Even my cased Rigby .303 Mauser, for instance, came with three of them.

Alberta Canuck

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose like anything else folks have different taste in tools as well as rifles. I have a cased 1903 Springfield made in England and the top two screwdrivers came with it. To me they looked like they came from a tractor toolbox so I made the bottom turnscrew that fits the guard screws.

>>>>Turnscrews<<<<<<

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why are turnscrews so ugly?

The answer to this question is a lot more involved than it appears on the surface. The short answer is that were originally made by Englishmen. To understand this we must realize that they speak a different language than we do and I will try to translate as I go along. Englishmen (Limeys) call a screwdriver, a turnscrew. The irony of this is that what we call a screw, they call a Pin. Then why don't the limeys call a screwdriver(turnscrew) a Turnpin?

When you hear about a Seven Pin sidelock action on a Purdey or Holland 12 Bore (12 ga) They're really talking about seven screws holding the side lock together. When they build a seven pin action, or a hand pin(Tang screw) etc... they don't go down to the hardware store for a handful of screws(pins) they custom make these pins(screws) on site for each individual action.

These screws(pins) fit these individual "Best Guns" precisely and probably will not fit the gun that our gunmaker's limey buddy Nigel is building on the other side of the workbench. So consequently a set of custom Turnscrews (screwdrivers, turnpins?) is made to fit the custom screws(pins) for a "Best" gun, and they won't pecisely fit the pins(screws) on our buddy Nigel's "best" gun either.

The turnscrew blank that they use is very easy to grind to a perfect fit with a parralel, untapered blade that fits that custom made, case colored or blued, beautifully engraved, perfectly timed, hand fitted pin(screw) that would cost you a New Truck Payment to replace if you buggered it up with that POS craftsman screwdriver(turnpinscrew) in your kitchen junk drawer. The taper across the flat side that increases in width toward the handle adds strength to counteract the torque applied to the pin. If the blank was parralel fron tip to handle, you'd twist it into a swizzle stick breaking a hand fitted pin loose.

So to answer the question,"Why are turnscrews so ugly?" I have to guess it's because they're made by Englishmen(Limeys) who aren't all that handsome themselves. But IMHO, a Limey with a turnscrew still builds the most beautiful guns on this planet.

If you are gonna build turnscrews, real ebony handles are the only way to go. That wood is an absolute pleasure to work with. The cost of ebony is cheap compared to the hours of labor you put in for a top shelf turnscrew.

Regards
Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote