THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion of a "Battue" rear sight on a CZ 550 FS?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found an older CZ 550 FS (full stock) in a shop. It is .30-06 and is stamped CZ USA, Oakhurst, CA. It is unfired. The rear sight is different than the current sights. This one has what is called a Battue sight. It looks a little like a quarter rib, with a "V" groove milled into the end of it for the rear notch. The front sight is interchangeable.

I liked the looks of it and wondered if anyone has any experience with this type of sight? Are they rugged? Is is adjustable?

Thanks for any help,
Dave

<eldeguello>
posted
Certainly an "unAmerican" contraption, probably French (Mon Dieu!!) A receiver sight and a Sourdough up front would work better! I doubt if the things are really adjustsble either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Supposed to be for fast close range shots on running game, charging 300 lb wild boars a specialty !!!

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning BAR Battue with that rear ramp style sight, and while it looked very rugged, I took a fall with the rifle and landed with my knee right on the rib. Apart from that it bloody well hurt, the rib bent and came partway off.

Check to see how it is fixed, more than two screws are needed in my opinion to fix such a long bit of metal.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried to order a cz battue to Oz in 9.3 but I had to take what I was given (lux model which I like). I reckon it would be great for close stuff...load with some woodleigh 220 gr RN's and have some fun on the pigs.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote