New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turning down a barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have heard mixed reviews on making a barrel contour lighter. Will it change the internal demenisons on the barrel? I have a varmit weight barrel that would be better served as a magnum contour. I would like to remove about .05 over all, then maybe get it fluted will it is on the lathe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
turn away and don't worry about it. I have read that so many times that I actually questioned what I knew. I talked to some folks who have turned barrels that won national matches and they confirmed what I always knew-nothing happens except that the barrel gets lighter.

Lots of folks go off on a tnagent taking some correct information out of context. Just turn it to the contour you wnat and shoot it.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I've heard that hammer forged barrels open up if you remove much from the OD. Never proved this my self. I've turned more button rifled barrels down from a blank than used pre turned. Never had an accuracy problem doing this. I've got two cut rifled blanks to turn down this week.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All those sporter barrels started as bar stock.....

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And I would have thought hammer forged barrels were shaped afterwards??

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the barrel makers, that I know, taper their barrels after rifling.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
And I would have thought hammer forged barrels were shaped afterwards??

Have you ever seen the Heym barrels with the spiral flats on the outside? That's what the hammer forge does. Hammer forging is very fast way to spit out large quantities of barrels. The only cleanup that involves much machining is threading and crowning. They can chamber with the hammer too.

Wish I had an air gauge. Then I could find out if turning a hammer forged varmint weight barrel to a light sporter really opens it up much?????

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blueprinted, How are you going to flute it on the lathe?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Blueprinted, How are you going to flute it on the lathe?
Butch

Butch --- See, this ye'r gunsmith guy has a lathe which is geared to cut 1 thread per foot of travel...and he's grinding tools to cut a flat bottomed thread 3/16" wide, and he's gonna make spiral flutes. Then, of course, he'll start each thread 1.75" ahead of the last one...so's they ain't running inta each other...Wink

Just funnin' ya.....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Look here, 2nd question. http://www.hartbarrels.com/F_A_Q.shtml

For more reading fun, here is a blast from the past. Enjoy the reading! Big Grin
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/362106184/p/1

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote