Find
Notify
Tools

Yugo Muaser and Round Nose Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all...
Just wondering, does anybody have any experience with the round nose Woodleighs in the Yugo (Intermediate Length) Mauser? I am wanting to try some Woodleigh round nose bullets in my handloads, but want to see if anybody ahs had to do any ramp / rail modification to get them to feed correctly, as mine has trouble feeding the Remington factory fodder with a 170 round nose. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Jeremy

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a VZ-24, a 48, and a 24/47. None of them do too well with round noses.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks for the reply. Have you ever tried to do any ramp mods to get them to feed better? If so, what did you do, and did it help?
I might have to stick with spitzers. Just that the 196 grain Woodleigh seemed perfect for hogs in the timber...Thanks!!
Jeremy

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No major mods to the feed ramps other than polishing. With these rifles it didn't seem to be so much the feed ramp. What I noticed is when the round comes forward and up out of the magazine, the round nose bullets have a tendancy to hang up, drag or snag on the upper portion of the action behind the chamber. I think this due to the fact that the round nose does not have the "fast" taper that the spizters do. I have used Sierra's 220 spitzer BT's and they feed fine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks. I noticed the same thing about the sierras...and my gun loves 'em. .9" group at 125yds!! Not bad for an old military rifle. Big Grin
The sierras are supposed to be constructed a little tough for 8x57 velocities though, so I was wanting to try the woodleighs. I fugured the longer bearing surface of the bullet would help with the accuracy as well, and the round nose would aid in speeding up expansion...
Guess I'll have to decide whether or not it's worth trying them. I know some have good luck with getting them to feed, and some have not...
Jeremy