Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 700 STOCK
 Login/Join

posted
I took the stock off of my Remington 700 to give the barrel a good cleaning after hunting in the rain. Now I can not remember how much pressure to apply to the rear screw at the trigger guard. I know the front one needs to be very tight but not sure on the back one. Thanks for any help on this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wood stock...synthetic?

Pillar bedded...not pillar bedded?

Steel Guard...Aluminum guard?

Unless you provide the answers to those questions it’s pretty difficult to guess. In my experience 700’s respond best to equal torque on both the front and rear screws, and the actual amount is going to depend upon the answers to the above questions. I use Devcon Titanium pillar bedded McMillan stocks with stainless steel pillars and DD Ross one piece steel guards that will withstand the 65 inch/pounds of torque that I use. However, that would be really excessive on an non-pillar bedded wooden stock with an aluminum guard.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 65lbs torque wrench that I bought from HS precision.That was recommended for my remington Sendero.I use it to tighten my Sako mounds also.I would guess it would work for a wooden stock.I plan on using it on a new 700BDL I ordered.I will be getting the rifle in Feb-March.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not suggest 65 inch/pounds on any rifle that is not pillar bedded and does not have a steel trigger guard...Just my opinion.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always torque the 700 Rem CS rifles to 65 in./lbs. First the front and then the rear. These rifles all have Rem. bottom metal.Ifthe rifle is bedded properly, the aluminum floorplate is not a problem.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddieharren:
I always torque the 700 Rem CS rifles to 65 in./lbs. First the front and then the rear. These rifles all have Rem. bottom metal.Ifthe rifle is bedded properly, the aluminum floorplate is not a problem.

I’ll stick with what I said earlier.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifles are all pillar bedded in mcmillan stocks.I just tighten them with a standard allen wrench.Being pillar bedded the screw turns very easily then suddenly stops and will not turn any more at all using reasonable force.I mark the screws and bottom metal with a marker,and the screws always stop at exactly the same position.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
0311, so will I.Merry Christmas.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote