New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to fit plugs in Galazan pad
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can I ask for the assistance of the experienced. I have fitted a Galazan " period correct" pad to a rifle. This is the red-orange solid rubber style. How do I install the rather large screw hole plugs, that are snug but not tight.wrap of tape? Glue at specific location so can be removed if needed?
Thank you for your assistance.
Larry

Posts: 378 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
They usually fit snug enough to stay in by themselves, but on the rare occasion they are a bit loose, I cut a small piece of this plastic from a sandwich bag and push the plug in with that ahead of it. That'll hold it and still easy to remove when you need to.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you John. Sounds like a plan.
I appreciate your help.
Larry

Posts: 378 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Galazan also make pads without screw holes that need plugs which IMO are a better fitting style, or are the screw plugs the "period correct" bit?

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snug should be fine. Recoil will drive them forward. If you need to, a couple of small dots of superglue will hold them.
quote:
Originally posted by ChiefR53:
Can I ask for the assistance of the experienced. I have fitted a Galazan " period correct" pad to a rifle. This is the red-orange solid rubber style. How do I install the rather large screw hole plugs, that are snug but not tight.wrap of tape? Glue at specific location so can be removed if needed?
Thank you for your assistance.
Larry

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I have ever worked with that particular brand of pad. I do see lots with the rubber plugs in them. To get them out I push them down with a punch and put a few drops of lacquer thinner in the hole while pushing the plug down. As soon as the thinner works down along the edges it gets slick-as-snot-on-a-roosters-lip and I just grab them lightly with tweezers and pull them out. To put them back in I degrease the hole and plug well with lacquer thinner and while they are still wet I pop them back in. After the thinner evaporates they seem to be stuck super tight.

I disremember who taught me that trick. I think it might have been Ronnie Proppe or Rudy VanOwen.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Why the penchant for for recoil pads with plugs in the screw holes. That's the same as making a twist steel shotgun barrel, only done because no other way of making a barrel in those days. So simple to fit recoil pads these days with no screw holes showing. After all it is not as if we need to have wing nuts on recoil pad screws or even levers as we do for scope rings, as you would not normally be removing a recoil pad on a rifle stock that often if ever, unless the pad is worn out and needs replacing.

Superglue to hold the plugs in place, is that period correct Smiler

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I ask the same thing every time someone brings me in silly eagle27. If it's a rifle I often just glue them on with no screws. The fact remains that there are silly people out there that will make anything they think they can make a buck on and sooner or later someones gonna buy it! lol

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote