Find
Notify
Tools

Need Advice
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
As many of you know I'm an aspiring smith. It will be a while before I'll be able to take the plunge and commit to opening a shop.

That said, I know an FFL isn't required as long as I'm not keeping a receiver. Which I haven't and have no intention of doing.

That said, I've been approached by an individual to weld some bolt handles for them. Apparently, they were impressed enough by some of my work they'd seen online to contact me. It would be nice to get a jump start on getting my name out there by putting some product out. But, I just don't want to give the impression to the wrong folks that I'm operating as an ffl and wonder if accepting this business is worth it. I don't want to invite any unwanted scrutiny. The contactor is out of state.

Opinions & advice welcomed.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
As long as you are only receiving the bolts I wouldn't worry about it. My concern would be to have an understanding with the customer as to what happens if something gets screwed up. If they are run of the mill mauser bolts or something you can afford to self-insure on the job, but if they are something pricey you need to have an understanding first about who is responsible for what.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, a "gunsmith only" FFL is only $30 so why limit yourself? Check the BATF website for more info. I had a dealers licence back in the late 70's early 80's and you had better know the rules, both state and federal.

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, there is no different license for a gunsmith. It is the same as the dealer license. There are some liberties that they allow as far as hours of operation if you are applying for one and are operating as a smith. The first 3 years is $200 and then it is $90 for the three year renewals.

Federal Firearms License Types

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The main thing keeping me from the license is zoning restrictions. So, until I can afford a shop (very pricy in my area) or move to the country I can't really get a license.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, during the Clintonian rein I gave up my FFL rather then renew when the administration threatened to notify local law enforcement and zoning officials of all FFL holders locations.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote