New
Find
Notify
Tools

one piece mount??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
a mate of mine has a 338-378 weatherby mk V, he has been trying to set up a different scope on it, so far he has been using a piccatinny rail off one of his remingtons, he wants to know if these rails are rifle specific?

he has run out of vertical adjustment and still is a few feet low, he has made a shim up but still falls short. any help?

i think the rifle is an accumark

thanks

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
They do make some general fit models , but you probably need to find one specific for the Accumark, that action may need some elevation built in to it.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alex.Y

Your friend will still use the 700 platform for mounting but I think you will find what you need here for vertical adjustment.
www.badgerordnance.com

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the scope mount points are 6" apart and the target 100 yards away, then each .001" of shim changes the point of impact by 7.2".

The thinnest steel shimstock I have is .0015"
This moves the POI 10.8"

More common is .004".
This would move the POI 28.8".
Two layers would move the POI 57.6".

A piece of paper will work, unless you store the rifle underground in the tropics.

To raise the POI, he needs to put the shims under the REAR mount point. That will tip the scope objective down and the muzzle up.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for that info tnekkcc,

he has shimmed the rail up at the back with a snip of hammered credit card, that measures in at .002, he is just a little concerned weather it is up to the recoil of a 338-378?!

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote