New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left Hand Montana Actions - Shipped
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got an email from Montana that two left-hand stainless steel actions were shipped to me as of Tuesday. Another lefty yet to be shipped.

Not positive, but think one of the shipped ones is a H&H bolt face and the other is an '06. Thinking of swapped barrel jobs for both. Maybe a 470 Capstick and 458 Lott for one and a 35 Whelen and a 338/06 for the other.

Need either laminated wood or fiberglass stocks to go with these. Any ideas ?

Hammer

[ 11-21-2003, 21:37: Message edited by: Hammer ]

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
email from Montana

"Hey Art,
I've got good news for you, and has nothing to do with my car insurance. We just shipped out 2 of your actions Hammer1 and Hammer2 on either Tuesday or Wednesday. Your shop should receive them some time next week.
Talking to my gunsmith he stated that our action would work great because of our second lug. We would have to work on the details but it would work. Because the cone breech and extractor cut are actually contained within the action we don't have the problem as you stated that the Winchester Model 70 has. It is a flat breeched barrel.

Thanks
Dan
"

[ 11-21-2003, 21:43: Message edited by: Hammer ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Art,
I have to eat crow now, I made a mistake. It was another customers actions (short, right hand, stainless magnums) that went out. He had serial numbers similar to yours so that is why I thought it was yours. You have lefties on order and we should be getting them in the next 4 weeks. We are only about a week or two from them starting the machining on them so once that is done they'll be on their way. I sincerely apologize for my mistake and I hope it doesn't ruin your weekend.

Thanks
Dan
"

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
How 'bout a email from a mistress, maybe a enraged wife...at least something entertaining [Big Grin]

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey,

One of these days maybe I will get a more interesting email to post. But my life is sort of boring to entertain a mistress or enrage a wife.

Because several folks have been anxiously awaiting the left-hand Montana actions, when I heard that mine was shipping, I thought some other lefties would like to know that the left-hand ones were on their way. But when I later learned that they were not, thought I had better reduce the anticipation of immediate arrivals.

Sorry that it didn't meet your expectations. I will strive harder in the future.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not understand how someone could make a mistake in your S/N, Hammer. Are not your actions numbered HAMMER1 and HAMMER2? They are among the first listed in the list of numbers sold, correct?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rootbeer,

Yes, all my actions are serial numbered HAMMER1, HAMMER2, HAMMER3, etc. And they were among the first ordered.

And I was in correspondence with Montana concerning other matters when they emailed me that the first two had shipped.

But, mistakes do happen. Just hope they're limited to emails and paper. And do not influence the actual rifle actions.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

Where in Idaho do you live? I lived in Idaho Falls 6/73-6/75; went to Skyline High School for my sophomore and junior years. I hated it there; it was so windy and I couldn't drive... had to ride my two-wheeler everywhere I went no matter what the weather. I am thinking of moving back there so I have a place to shoot; there is NO place here unless you own the land.

[ 11-23-2003, 23:19: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Hammer
Just kidding you, relax. [Big Grin] Your not a Idaho Vandals fan are you? Go Griz. [Razz]

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in southeastern Idaho, it's the Idaho State Bengals. Being originally from a little further South, quit paying attention when Bear Bryant quit coaching a few years ago.

High school football is more interesting to me these days since my son is playing. Century High School won the State 4A Championship Friday night.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hesitate to post this, but I figure I might as well. It seems to me that your switch barrel calibers (for me anyway) are too similar. Maybe that is what you were going for. I do not know. Just my thoughts, Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dempsey,
AHEM, Go Bobcats, lol. I don't get to gloat often. Let me see .............. 27 to 20 wasn't it?????

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lone Eagle,

That's what John Dustin said when he built my first Sako swap barrel rifle.

I wanted a 470 Capstick and a 458 Lott on a Sako (which he built). So in order to add variety, we added a 416 Remington Magnum so as to have a light, medium, and heavy on one action.

On the Weatherby action swap barrel rifle, I wanted a 500 A-Square to go with the 460 Wby barrel, but to add variety we are adding a 32 inch 378 Wby barrel.

Wanted Searcy to add a set of 470 Nitro barrels to go with the 500 Nitro, but...

Wonder what I could get Granite Mountain Arms to add to a 585 Nyati rifle ?

But I agree, one should avoid too much redundancy and overlap.

Hammer

[ 11-24-2003, 08:29: Message edited by: Hammer ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, what about a .375 of some flavor to go with the bigger bores? That would seem to me to add versatility yet still have some overlap. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lone Eagle,

The 458s seem to be doing OK on duiker, impala, mountain reedbuck, lechwe, bushbuck, and the like.

And the 500s are doing OK on buffalo.

What would the niche of the 375 be ?

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lone Eagle,

Actually I have used a 375 H&H a lot with good success. Just don't have one in a swap barrel yet.

Looking to do that with the Montana action. Might also add one to the Sako action.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
For the left-hand Montana action using the 470 and 458s, does anyone care to make a recommendation comparing the laminated-wood to the better fiberglass stocks ?

Hammer

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Customstox

You get to gloat two years in a row now [Frown] And to think I stayed home to watch the game instead of going hunting. The Griz just don't look like the "Griz" we all have come to know and love. The only good side is we have two teams in the playoffs now. I may even root for the Cats. [Eek!]

I'm not sure the Idaho/Montana Rivalry isn't dead. I heard they aren't scheduled anytime soon. Thats a shame.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Art,
All I can say is "OOOOOOPS" I apologize for getting you all excited with good news and then to turn around and give you bad news. I spoke too soon, and like I said the serial numbers were soooo similar that I mistaked one for the other. Guess I'll never live this one down.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

No problem with me.

In my excitement, I just let the cat out of the bag informing others that the lefties were being shipped. Then, I didn't want them to get too excited with a false expectation of an immediate arrival (cancel Thanksgiving with the family and such).

We're still looking forward to the actions.

Hope everything is well with everyone in Montana.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just browsing Brownells website. They have Remington 700 actions for sale. I haven't seen that in quite a while. I think they're $400. and that includes the trigger assembly. You require an FFL to order them. It's nice to have a couple of them on hand for future use. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote