Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Enfield Stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am looking at a nice BSA Lee Enfield No. 1 Mark III, and have access to a set of decent sporter stocks for a No. 4 Mark I. Are the buttskocks for the No. 1 Mark III and the No. 4 Mark I Lee Enfields interchangable? If not what are the differences. I understand that there are differences in the foreends between the No. 1 Mark III and the No. 4, Mark I. Anybody know what the differences are or whether a No. 4 Mark I sporter foreend will work for a No. 1 Mark III with the barrel sight removed?

Thanks,

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I own both the rifles you're asking about and I restocked both of them. Right off, I'd say no. And I want to say no the buttstocks won't interchange because the shape of the section of wood that fits into the cupped section on the steel wrist of the action. Furthermore, I don't think the forearms will interchange because the actions are shaped moderately different and are different enough that it won't quite work.

Again, don't take this to be gospel because its been a couple years since I undertook those projects and even then I didn't do them at the same time so I couldn't do a side by side comparison. Still, I remember them looking somewhat different from each other.

Therefore, for FWIW, no you can't interchange them.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Jason:

Thanks for the response. I notice that they sell different stock sets for each so I am assuming that is the case, but want to make sure.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote