New
Find
Notify
Tools

Williams Firearms Co. Visit
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I visited the Williams Firearms Facility in Prineville, OR last week. Watched one of Matt's 4 axis CNC machining centers carving out 40 (yep, forty) bottom metal units at one time for the M70. Impressive to say the least! And the dimensional quality is "right on".

Discussed the upcoming Williams action in detail with Matt and his Dad. All I can say (without getting in trouble for revealing confidential and copyright stuff) is you folks ain't seen nothing yet! I hauled a case full of various actions (both standard and custom) down for Matt to look at, and likewise Matt had a few to look at. We spent several hours on the pros and cons of each action and just what is needed in today's market in both a serious hunting action and benchrest/target actions. And, yes, we discussed DGR actions and the needed items for a reliable large caliber rifle.

So, stay tuned folks, for interesting developments at Williams Firearms in the near future.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
Been there myself,too bad we didn't get together for a bite or somethin'. Mighty impressive setup on the hill there. I hope to see a finished rifle out of them soon. As I already have a 500A-2 on the way I really don't know what I would need one for other than a .577 or .600-OK. Doesn't mean I shouldn't want one though. I think Matt and his father have a genuine concern of doing it right from the get-go rather than have a rifle or two comeback later. I am convinced they will do it right and in a timetable that will work for all of us. I have been watching Gibbs Rifle Co. promise 45-70 Summit guns built on the SMLE for at least 10 years without a single one being released for one of us. shame on them for even mentioning something they weren't ready to produce. I would rather they never said a word....45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, I thought I would let you know that I'll have some good pics of the actions that I'll post on here to show you how it's coming. I've got most of the reciever completed aside from the bolt release, which is still in the R&D stage at this time, but hopefully she'll be done before the ball drops on Wednesday. [Wink]

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Will you offer this action in left-hand?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Matt,

Will you offer this action in left-hand?

George

Absolutely [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I show you guys some pics as soon as I figure out where to send them, so I can post them on here.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Any idea on what target range you guys will have on retail?

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badboyz:
Matt,

Any idea on what target range you guys will have on retail?

Retail price on our short-action, which is what we are working on first, will be $1050.00. That price includes our one-piece bottom metal assembly as well the fact that the action will not need blueprinting or an aftermarket trigger. The bases will also be machined intergral into the reciever with the customer's choice of either the Talley-style base or Picatinny. Dealer cost will be $825.00.

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of our action. I apologize for the terrible resolution, but that looks like that's about as good as it's going to get.

-

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
May I ask why not two grooves in the forward scope base? Just wondering, no criticism.

At the risk of sounding silly (not that it's ever stopped me before), I presume this thing will be tighter than a drum? Surface-to-surface contact being 100 percent in all the right places? Everything straight as a razor, so on and so forth?

Lastly, what market are you attempting to cut into, so to speak -- the Nesika Bay bunch or the Remington bunch?

Nice picture. Thanks for posting.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the first SolidWorks picture. I am afraid that we will have a little competition here between the two companies [Smile] .

By the way, I also had a concept design similar to this but my version had an open recess on each square bridge with a removable mount insert in place. Anyway, I look forward to seeing more pictures.

[ 12-31-2002, 05:32: Message edited by: Mingo ]

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

With regard to the CNC setup to make FORTY Winchester triggerguards at once...

Do you think you could whip up an Oberndorf style hinged unit for Mausers, wider in the front so that you could attach your own, custom, WIDE box to it? And sell it for the same price as the Win stuff? I'm just talking about flat bottom metal, no mag box attached (make your own and tack it on). It would be really nice if the front part of it was sized to accomodate a stretched (3.6") Enfield mag box.

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to offend anyone when I ask this stupid question, but I have to ask.....

What exactly are the advantages over this new action or the Nesika Action over your standard factory action? Is it accuracy? Are we talking about turning 1/2" groups into 1/4" groups? Reliability?

Again, you'll have to excuse my ignorance on this subject. This redneck here in Alabama ain't never seen one these!

Thanks.

Posts: 64 | Location: Bham, Al | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Matt,
is it possible to order without the <sorry> buttugly groves on the bridges?

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I have two actions on order from Rod & Montana Rifleman; the RH is "real soon now" and the LH is 20 weeks out, give or take. These are the prototypes for my line of PH stopping rifles.

What is your timeline for delivery for an action, say one with a RH .532" bolt face and H&H cartridge magazine assembly?

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Russell,
I left the front groove out because I figured that the adjustment would probably not be necessary there, but It is still just in the prototype phase and all changes are possible, including no grooves at all as Jeffe hopes for. [Wink]

This receiver will be machined in a manner that will allow us to qualify all the most critical surfaces in single setup on the CNC. These include, machining the threads, bore, locking abutments, receiver face, and integral scope bases. This is something that no other action manufacturer does currently.

Our market is the serious hunter who not only wants a high quality firearm, but one that he doesn't have to pay and arm and a leg for. Our main competition is with the high-end actions, but after looking what it costs to make a Remington or Winchester perform, we'll be in their backyard too. You'll spend somewhere around $400.00 for a reciever from Remington or Winchester, then you'll spend twice that again getting the action up to specs with triggers, bottom metal, blueprinting, and reliable feeding. Our actions will run $850.00 dealer cost. They don't need bottom metal, blueprinting, or a new trigger. They come fully loaded right out of the box. Put on a barrel and a blue job, and you're ready to go.

Mingo,
What two companies are you referring to?

Todd,
We've just completed our Orbendorf designed triggerguard for a short-action Winchester that Kent Bowerly will be taking to Reno this year. I'm putting all my effort into getting this action completed, but I do intend on doing something similiar to what you are talking about very soon.

wpm,
It's accuracy, reliability, and value all wrapped into one. Not to mention that you shouldn't hunt with ugly guns. [Big Grin]

Jim,
We're looking at the latter part of the spring to early summer for the big action. Montana is doing a good job on there action and I wouldn't hold off things with those guys. There's plenty of room in there for everybody. John Ricks showed me while he was here what you guys had up your sleeve on the budget big bores. Great idea. There's a good market out there for that.

One other thing, to all the board members here, if you haven't had the pleasure of meeting with John Ricks then you're really missing out. Having John come here made for a very enjoyable couple of days. He is one of the most knowledgable people that I've ran across in a very long time. If I wasn't able to handle 99% of the gun work that I do, I'd be sending it his way without hesitation. The man walks the walk. Please do him a favor and look to him when you need some quality work done. I don't think you would regret it.

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Here's the pic of the 2 slots and one with none at all. Just in case 2 slots are real "buttugly". [Big Grin]

-

-

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Matt,
thanks!! great sense of humor [Cool]
jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I hadn't met John Ricks either until we did a road trip to Port Angeles last August; it was worth the drive to meet him and talk guns.

I am sticking with my Montana Riflemen action plan for the right-hand and left-hand prototype rifles, but I want to stay up with what is happening in the field. Much of what I do ends up in articles for African Hunter as well. I have sources for the first barrels and stocks as well, not all we have to do is deliver a product that will sell in the market niche. That takes marketing as you know.

thanks...jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Matt, and thanks for all the info.

What are the chances of a long action that will accept 3.80" OAL cartridges and has a 0.800 bolt body diameter, double square bridge design, with an original Mauser-style bolt release and ejector?

Thanks.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Hello Matt, and thanks for all the info.

What are the chances of a long action that will accept 3.80" OAL cartridges and has a 0.800 bolt body diameter, double square bridge design, with an original Mauser-style bolt release and ejector?

Thanks.

Our big action will have a .800" diameter bolt, 3.9" in the box, and all of our actions will utilize a Mauser-style bolt release and ejector. This also happens to be exactly what I'm working on right now. Instead of using a leaf spring, like the Mauser, we're going to a coil spring, but the function will operate exactly the same way the Mauser did, including the ejector, which will be laser cut out of stainless.
The action that we are working on right now is for the short-action, but we've increased the bolt diameter to .750" and the ring diameter to 1.425 with 1 1/8"x16 threads.

With this design, we will have more strength in the receiver ring than any other action ever made. We get a lot of added strength as a bonus of having the bases machined integral into the receiver.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I may have missed it but two questions.

(1) How long a cartridge will the short-action magazine take? and

(2) How big a case head will it handle? I'm thinking another short-action Lazzeroni and head size is 0.578".

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I am very glad to hear that you are working on the magnum action with a .800 bolt body diameter. I am interested in one for my .620 Overkill. Dies should arrive this week, brass in a couple of months, and probably barrel in a month. Then all I need is an action (hint).

Can you tell me when you think the magnum action might be available and its estimated price?

Thanks!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Stainless...stainless...stainless...?

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,
The cartridge size that you're speaking of on the head shouldn't have any problems at all, considering we are using a .750" bolt. Case length will probably be around 3.125, but we may lengthen that out a little if necessary. Currently, I don't know of any cartridge that would need anymore than that.

The magnum action is hopefully going to be completed by the middle to end of summer, conservatively speaking. Price will be around $970.00 dealer cost.

Badboyz,
Already on top of it. We've been working with Stainless for a long time with our bottom metal, and have every intention of doing the same with our actions.

If you guys have any other questions about the specifics on these receivers, do a search on my early posts on this board. It will tell you everything that you need to know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

May I suggest that you use the same footprint dimensions of the CZ 550 Safari magnum action for your magnum action. Not many of us would or can afford a $2500 custom walnut stock so the only alternative for those individuals would be to use a fiber glass stock. From what I understand, McMillan's Express stock cannot accomodate anything bigger than a CZ 550 and they told me that they will not invest in another mold for a bigger stock than what they have. Anyway, this is just a suggestion and please ignore it if it does not make sense. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggerguard1:
This receiver will be machined in a manner that will allow us to qualify all the most critical surfaces in single setup on the CNC. These include, machining the threads, bore, locking abutments, receiver face, and integral scope bases. This is something that no other action manufacturer does currently.

Our market is the serious hunter who not only wants a high quality firearm, but one that he doesn't have to pay and arm and a leg for. Our main competition is with the high-end actions, but after looking what it costs to make a Remington or Winchester perform, we'll be in their backyard too. You'll spend somewhere around $400.00 for a reciever from Remington or Winchester, then you'll spend twice that again getting the action up to specs with triggers, bottom metal, blueprinting, and reliable feeding. Our actions will run $850.00 dealer cost. They don't need bottom metal, blueprinting, or a new trigger. They come fully loaded right out of the box. Put on a barrel and a blue job, and you're ready to go.

I shoot Savages. I don't give a damn about appearances. I'd like one with the two Weaver grooves, front and rear, please (four grooves total).

If your standard actions will run $850 dealer, two questions:

1. What is the longest (in practical terms) round that this receiver could accommodate?

2. What are you expecting the dealer cost to be on your magnum actions?

Thank you for your specific answers to my specific questions, as well as for answering these two extra queries.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, just one more question on the magnum mauser (0.800 bolt diameter).

What safety options will be available?

I like the military 3 position safety for an iron sighted gun. I wonder if I could just move one over from a military '98.

Thanks, and best of luck with the project.

one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
Any new news on this action?

<JOHAN>
posted
triggerguard1

Now we are talking, any pic of the bolt yet?

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Matt, don't hang around here to much, you are delaying the production time of the action, WORK!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

[ 01-31-2003, 12:48: Message edited by: JOHAN ]