New
Find
Notify
Tools

Side scope mount on a pre-64 M70?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I'm considering a 1952-vintage .30-06 M70 a fellow wants $600 for. The metal appears to be in good shape with a nice original finish, but there is an old side scope mount on it. The forward screw is drilled in front of the ejection port, juuuuust into the part of the receiver where the front bridge starts. Is this a problem (other than cosmetically...)

The stock has been hacked with a recoil pad and some old school black and white diamond shaped inlays, but I'd probably want to replace it with a classic McMillan anyway so that's not a deal breaker as long as the side mount isn't a huge problem.

The front sight is hooded, would that be original?

Is $600 a fair price for this gun?

Posts: 174 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 14 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The holes are nothing but a cosmetic blemish. Considering the extra holes and the stock cut off, he price would be quite high for around here; no more than $400.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kala_azar:
So I'm considering a 1952-vintage .30-06 M70 a fellow wants $600 for. The metal appears to be in good shape with a nice original finish, but there is an old side scope mount on it. The forward screw is drilled in front of the ejection port, juuuuust into the part of the receiver where the front bridge starts. Is this a problem (other than cosmetically...)

The stock has been hacked with a recoil pad and some old school black and white diamond shaped inlays, but I'd probably want to replace it with a classic McMillan anyway so that's not a deal breaker as long as the side mount isn't a huge problem.

The front sight is hooded, would that be original?

Is $600 a fair price for this gun?

I suppose you could try to haggle him down a bit, but I probably would just go ahead and buy it at whatever his bottom-line price is. (I'd just say..."I'm interested in buying it if we can make a deal fair to both of us. I know you've got at least a little room in our asking price, so what is the bottom line you HAVE to get out of it?")

Anyway, as posted above, the screw holes are just cosmetic. I wouldn't even fill them. I'd probably just put plug screws in them, and keep the side mount in my "possibles" drawer. It is just possible that some day you might want to put that side mount back into use.

As to the butchered recoil pad...to me it would mean nothing at all, seeing as how you plan to put a composite stock on it anyway. And you could probably remove the pad entirely, then sell the stock for $75-$150, honestly telling folks it had apparently been cut to shorten the length of pull for a lady or young man. Folks who want a shorter stock for someone in the family but don't want to cut the original stock on his/their gun, would likely just leap at it. Original pre-'64 M70 stocks, cut or uncut, aren't that easy to come by these days.

The action alone would probably bring $500 or so on the open market (especially at any on-line gun auction site), so the barrel and action must be worth at least $575.

But it is your money and you're the one who will need to be happy with it, not some "collector's advisor".

So, if you like it, buy it. If you don't, it costs nothing to just keep on walking.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, all very helpful!

As long as the side mount is a cosmetic flaw only, I'm happy to just remove it and throw a couple of plug screws in there with a dab of loctite.

Might have to try and make a deal!

Posts: 174 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 14 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
before you do that, check with the Cabela's in Boise, ID. They have a complete rifle in good shape, magnum action for $700 as of a week ago. It was sent back to the factory and rebarreled to 300 WM, iirc.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would want to know if its drilled properly and for what side mount before I bought it..The good side mounts were really nice in that when the scope was removed you had clear access to the barrel mounted iron sights, something most scope makers do not take into account these days, so whats the percentage in a quick detachable rings and bases if you can't see the iron sights....If all is correst reinstall the side mount and scope and it will not devalue the gun nearly as much, particularly in big bore calibers. Replace the recoil pad properly and you have a valuble gun with little effort and a modicum of cost.

Exposed holes or plugged holes will devalue it greatly, as its only a shooter in that mode...A good smith can drive a hot pin in those holes then top that off with a light tig and polish and blue it, and you will have to get in bright sun light to see it..I have seen several that Jack Belk did and they looked real nice.

Also, of consideration, is sometimes one gets too much invested in a good deal or cheap price and he could have shopped around and found and original for less than his expenditure..not uncommon at all.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote