New
Find
Notify
Tools

A few pre-64 M70 questions...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Stumbled into a great deal today at one of my local gunshops. A NIB pre 64 standard grade M70 in 30-06. $660 out the door! Ser # 4068xx Anyone know the year of manufacture.

He also had a pre-war M70 in 270 Winchester. It was a beater, throat looked like a shotgun bore and someone replaced the stock with a cobbled together Bishop replacement abortion. The gun was in the 37 thousand serial range and had a safety like I've not seen on a M70 before. It operated in 3 positions just like a standard safety but the safety knob was mounted on the left side of the bolt shroud or the exact mirror image of a standard 3 pos safety and it looked very different. Was this an aftermarket mod for a southpaw? The owner only wanted $319 for the gun...I'd expect the action is worth that. The barrel and stock are certainly toast and the gun has no collector value. What year was it made and what's up with that safety?

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
<HBH>
posted
KY Nimrod,

I dont have my Winchester numbers in front of me but the 400,000 likly 1958 or 59.

That is the factory Type I safety. Again 37,000 likly 1939, if I can remember when I get home I'll check.

HBH

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
KN,

The 30.06 - 1956.

The .270 - 1940.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
I'm fired up about the -06. Am running some oiled patches down the bore and greasing the bolt. I have been looking for a .270 Win like this but this was in perfect condition at a great price so I had to take it with me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Put the Remington and the Winchester side by side and look at them. Then operate the bolts.

After this I am sure you will take the Remington to the dealer tommorrow and take whatever he will give you for it.

When your at a gunshow this winter pick up a copy of "The Rifleman's Rifle" by Roger Rule.

Welcome to the club.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Here is a nice resource for getting manufacturing dates from serial numbers on pre64 Model 70s.

Winchester Serial Number/Manufacture dates

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kentucky Nimrod,

Thanks for the quick email. I gave them a call and did get the pre war model 70, before anyone else got to it. I have a pattern that I have used once that is dying for a prewar. It is going to end up likely being either a .404 Jeffry or something similar. The pattern I have is for a drop box so I need to start pouring money into it.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kentucky Nimrod,
Good deal! I would have jumped on either one of those. The action with the safety on the left side of the right hand bolt shroud is intriguing, and a custom touch that some recommend for ergonomics on a DGR. I wasn't aware if this was a standard feature on the earlier M70's. Some research is in order ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaggaRon, the early prewar ones came like that and most were modified to the other side.

I was surprised that this one was still there when I called. He sold pre 64's in one day, he is probably wondering about his prices also.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chic.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron,
Sometime this spring we need to get together and shoot a little. I just closed on a house in Middletown east of Louisville and will be busy filling a cumpster with drywall and old lathe/plaster getting ready for some renovation.
I travel the state for business and am either Somewhere in TN or KY on any given day. I'd love to shoot your Merkel!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kentucky Nimrod,
Sounds cool. We could meet at the Knob Creek Gun Range (near Fort Knox, I am sure you know where) some weekend when the gun nuts are not having a machinegun shoot. [Big Grin]

You can help me test some 470 NE handloads on exploding targets offhand at 50 yards. Should be sporting. Unless you have a better idea. Let me know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, exploding targets. Last time I shot exploding targets they were shooting back! I'm not sure which would cause me to develop a flinch...the gun or the targets?
But Knob Creekis fine. I'll bring my Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh so you can loosen up a little before we really get started! [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Costomox , and others.
I have a pre 64 supergrade 30-06 that I picked up awhile ago. A recoilpad had been added and D&T for one of those G&H side mounts, so it looked like a good one to build on.
I also was thinking of a .404 on it. The mag box would have to be changed, among other things, but can it be done and keep the supergrade floorplate? Or would I have to get a whole magbox trigger guard floorplate for a mag caliber to start with?

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kentucky Nimrod,
Punching paper would be better. A 475 Linebaugh would be interesting. All the holes in the paper will be the same size whether rifle or handgun.

I have never buried the hammer of my 454 Casull in my forehead, so maybe I will be able to handle the 475 without hurting myself. That would be a new experience for me.

I will load some 400 grain Hornady XTP's in the 470 NE to limber up with.

Cheers!