New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polishing a CZ 550 Bolt & Handle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a CZ 550 Bolt and Handle [308 Win.]that I would like to polish and remove the blueing on the handle & knob...I want the "in-the-white" look for this particular rifle...

I heard it somewhere that you can have a highly polished bolt handle instead of factory blue...

Does anyone have any pics of their polished bolts and bolt handles as a reference!

Could something like this be done both at home?

I would like to grind flat both top and bottom of bolt handle lg. round knob for a little different look...

Is it hollow or solid?

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course you can polish it yourself..but is kinda a chore if you're not set up for it & also know what you're doing. I've done gunsmithing...but don't have lots of polishers, etc. so I wouldn't attempt it now. What I would recommend is to send the bolt to the Harry Lawson Co. in Tucson & have them polish it...it will look like chrome when they're done.
Call: 520-326-1117 for them.
Aloha,
Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use some mothers mag polish on it, should take the blueing right off. If you must

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
You can use Naval Jelly on it also to remove the blue and then use crocus cloth and a little diesel fuel as lubricant to polish it.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why a high polish is good: If you have ever read a tome called "The American Gunsmith" first published around
1880's I think...you will find the info offered that the higher the polish, the more rustproof the steel, as the
steel's pores are then very, very small...I met an old gunsmith once at the range & remarked on his high polished
bolt. he then divulged he used to be a gunsmith, and highly polished it himself..just bare metal to a high polish,and didn't have a trace of rust thereafter about 50 years!
Which is why I recommended a shop that has the buffing wheels, etc. to achieve the highest polish possible. If
you just want a regular job, sure you can do it yourself...
But a shop job like Harry Lawson's will be better than what you could ever achieve.
I have an ultra high polish bolt on My .358 Norma...and...over the years...no rust, corrosion of any kind...and
the bolt of course is handled all the time.
Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing all the info!

I'll look into it!

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Just my tastes but the white bolt body looks right with the older Mauser or FN style knobs and shrouds. Even the Ruger has that same character. I think the more modern CZ bolt shroud and the little tiny bolt handle look better blued.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
Just my tastes but the white bolt body looks right with the older Mauser or FN style knobs and shrouds. Even the Ruger has that same character. I think the more modern CZ bolt shroud and the little tiny bolt handle look better blued.

Very interesting comment...

I'll give it some further thought...Thanks everyone for tossing your ideas back and forth to me! Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
Late Bloomer - If you still can find that one post where I showed pics of my CZ 550 American in 7x57mm, it had the bolt body jeweled and the bolt handle polished. To me, it looks fantastic. Mine was done by a Mexican gunsmith in El Paso several years ago. He since has died. The jeweling is of the small herringbone pattern. I cannot get photos to come up on this forum even though I tried and tried, so I will not try any more. I can post photos as attachments on 24 hour and graybead. To me, the polished bolt handle and jeweling really enhances the rifle. My brother had it done by the same dude on his CZ 550 Full Stock in 7x57mm. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tom,

I can't find that email you sent me of the pic!!!

That's why I posted here hoping you and others would give me some advice, pics, etc...

Remember before I left for my last hunt in August I had some computer problems,...well I think it got LOST in that mess...

I sent you a PM on that other forum yesterday did you check it out yet?

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whether you like the bolt blued or polishied is a personal choice.
I like them polished, and jeweled too.
Making knives, I have all of the sandpaper grits needed to do the polishing. I would probably polish the bolt down to 800 grit, or finer if the spirit moved me to do so.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the nice soft luster, not a high polish, that you see on parts from masters like Thomas Burgess and others. I have duplicated that a couple of times, by progressively polishing with finer grits of metal finishing abrasive paper up to 320, then buffing with steel wool in a random pattern. After I get the teeny tiny bolt handle on my CZ replaced with one befitting the size of the action and lacking the stupid hole in the end (wow - that saved a lot of weight Wink ), I plan to finish the whole bolt in the white.

I like the look of the South American Mausers with bolts (and receivers) in the white - I would leave a receiver in the white, but I'm not sure how to protect it from rust below the woodline.

T

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thoroughly enjoyed what everyone had to share...

I'm still contemplating my options and thanks for all the help...I'll let you all know what I plan to do very soon and post some pics of its completion!

thumb