New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shaw Barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have experience with Shaw barrels? Good? Fair? Excellent?

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<George Foster>
posted
denton,

I had a shaw barrel installed on my 788 6mm in '99. I broke it in according to their instructions of shooting one shot and cleaning for the first 20 shots. I used Rem 100gr factory ammo for this and shot a 5 shot group of 1" while doing the breakin. The gun shoots very well with 80 and 85gr bullets averaging 1/2" or under 3 shot groups. I would imagine that a higher priced match barrel would give better accuracy but I'm quite pleased with the accuracy I'm getting with my barrel.

I hope this information will help you.

Good Shooting,
George

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
denton -
I've had 3 Shaw barrels so far, a 7mm BR on a Rem. 788, a 7mm-08 on Rem. 700 and a .358 Win on Rem 700. They've all been excellent performers.
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shaw makes the Adams&Bennett barrels for Midway.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I'm going to the expense of rebarreling then I'm going to use a better quality barrel such as a Lothar-Walther, Lilja, Pac-Nor or even a good old Douglas..That is money well invested in the long run...You get what you pay for and you take the risk out of the quality of the barrel...I have re-barreled a lot of Shaw barrels that wouldn't shoot worth a flip over the years as have most gunsmiths.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote