THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front sight replacement on Ruger RSM: HELP!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted
I wanted to change the useless small brass bead front sight on my .458Lott Ruger RSM. I bought a NECG large white bead replacement to install. The problem is I cannot figure out how to remove the OE sight. I can depress the spring loaded detent but then cannot use a hammer to push the front sight out. I've applied Kroll and tried pulling it off with pliers while depressing the button, to no avail. Called Ruger tech support and they said they just destroy the sight when removing it as they cannot figure out how to successfully remove the front sight either??!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. What an engineering foul-up in design!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a bottle of "White Out" and paint the brass bead. Then apply a coat of satin lacquer to the paint. The white bead will appear bigger. Be happy. Otherwise, secure the muzzle in a padded vise, have someone depress the button, and whack the shit out of the sight with a steel drift and hammer.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with my early RSM in 416 Rigby. I ended up using a Dremel tool and cut it out, put the NECG sight in and then ordered the replacement factory sight from Ruger so I could put it back to original if I had to.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've removed and replaced them many times on both my Rugers.I did this with a tool I borrowed from my brother.It is a spring loaded metal punch(if that is the correct name).I guess the tool is used for punching a small dent on metal before drilling.Press the plunger down and at the same time place the pointy end of the punch just behind the sight and press the punch forward a few times.It will remove the sight without any damage besides the little mark left.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure you talking about a spring loaded center punch. How about flating the point just a bit and you might just get away with no mark.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I sure you talking about a spring loaded center punch. How about flating the point just a bit and you might just get away with no mark.
might work

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lion Hunter

I have encountered the same problem on two differant Ruger RSM's. They were probably pressed in oversize with out being fitted.

I use a square shaped copper drift or punch on all sight work. It will not dent or damage sights where a brass drift will.

Set your barrel up tightly in a leather padded vise, the heavier the better, as close to the sight as possible. Use a fairly heavy hammer. You want to 'thump' it, not go tap tap tap with a little hammer. File the drift so it will fit the lowest part of the sight. The copper drift will deform a little, thats ok just reshape it with a file again and persevere.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote