THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What types of bottom metal, and what year model 70 with 211XXX serial number?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What types of bottom metal, and what year model 70 with 211XXX serial number?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking of new bottom metal for a 375HH project, know next to nothing about williams, blackburn, other bottom metals, except wow what prices!!

Also, was a bolt of this period gnurled Checkered on two sides, or was this added?

My bad, the serial number is actually 211,2xx, (not 221,xxx lisdexia) so maybe a 50-52 rifle?

thanks

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Don't have my book in front of me, but 221,xxx has to be around '52 or '53. Bolts were not checkered on any of the pre 64s, so this was added by someone after the fact.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1952? how can a rifle action that old be younger than me? egads.

thanks

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None of the factory bolt handles were checkered. Some of the custom (rare) rifles were embellished with engraving and checkering options. Custom bottom metal isn't always necessary or even desirable. Those that created the model 70, seemed to consider form as an extension of function. The floorplate on th '70 can not open under the most severe recoil if it fitted and latched as it was designed to.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your old 375 should hold four cartridges down.

The Blackburn may hold more but then there will be a lump there and a new stock may be needed.

I would use it as is.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote