THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Desirability of Modelo 1935 Chilean Mauser for custom gun

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desirability of Modelo 1935 Chilean Mauser for custom gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I came across one of these in a shop today. Looks to be in VG condition, the gun is complete, all matching numbers.

I looked in Jerry Kuhnhausens Mauser book and found no reference as to desirability.

Passing mention is made to them in Ludwig Olsens book. Apparently they're variant of the 1935 Standard Modell Carbine made for the Chilean Police. It's a banner marked receiver, made at Obendorf, cal. - 7x57.

They're asking $225.

I hear that the supply of good actions to build custom guns on is beginning to dry up so I was wondering if this would be a good investment.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
<seven17>
posted
You have a problem. The price is right, excellent actually. It probably shouldn't be taken apart for the action unless it is somewhat (less) than desirable for collectors. I would buy it and then maybe find a "collector" that has an equivalent action to trade you. I have one that I bought as an action only from sarco and it is without a doubt the best machined and slickest of all the Mausers I have had. As a starting point for a custom rifle I would say it is SUPERB!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that crossed my mind too. I just did a search on Auction Arms though and the highest bid for one of these was $325.

In any case I think i'm going to get it and hold on to it. Hell, it's just closet space.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go ahead and make a nice custom rifle out of it, it's certainly not worth saving as original..Mauser collectors will only pay about $400 tops and a custom rifle with that action will bring a premium anywhere and anytime...My 338 is on a M-98 Chilien Mauser action and I have seriously been offered more than $5000. on several ocassion. I wouldn't be to hot on preserving it in its original state..

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote