New
Find
Notify
Tools

butterknife bolt handles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A while back someone posted a real nice Mauser with ds triggers and a butterknife handle. The thread discussed comfort of these handles and I believe the angle off vertical was discussed. I want to make one and put it on a 98. I can't find the thread thru searching (a lot of the pics have been removed). Rather than weld, try, take off...etc, what configuration should I target. I'm speaking of the type with the ridge in the center outside and radiused under the bottom edge.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 90 | Location: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: 13 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My smith did these two

Posts: 6491 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hers' one from a GI bring-back I own.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, yours are the style that I was referring to and what was in the thd. Those are nice. Now the Recoil Rob one has my eye and is really neat. Especially with the light scroll and stippling - I love that. I want to use an old Redfield recvr sight and don't want to drag my fingers across it while opening - hence the angle question.
Thank you - those are both cool.

Posts: 90 | Location: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: 13 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lyman made a sight at one time, the #35, that mounted on the Mauser bolt stop, other side, no interference with the handle.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post

As far as I'm concerned, they should be attached at 90 degrees with no sweep at all.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walnut:
A while back someone posted a real nice Mauser with ds triggers and a butterknife handle. The thread discussed comfort of these handles

You sure it wasn't discomfort? I have one rifle with a butterknife handle, a Mannlicher Schoenauer and it is in a tie with Customstox's Brno #2, also with a butterknife handle as by far the most uncomfortable to use handles I have experienced. Looks great though.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Z, I should have been more precise when I wrote angle. I meant the outward angle as viewed from the butt. That handle is interesting in that it isn't flat on top - the crest goes over the edge. I'm figuring you know what sight I'm trying to clear!!LOL.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like Recoil Rob's type on a couple of M95 Dutch Steyrs. The problem is you never know what it is going to look like until it is done.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess a butter knife bolt handle is meant for a sniper cartridge,scoped rifle.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote