New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No 1 in 22 Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've posted about this same subject on the Small Calibers forum but would also want to hear your opinons from a technical view.

Is the Ruger No 1 a good choice for a 22 Hornet rifle? I've only handled larger chamberings of the No 1 so my own experience is limited.

The model I'm considering is the 1-B.

Any info/experiences appreciated!

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
I've got just over 9,000 rounds through by Ruger 1A K-Hornet. It's a *little* un-handy to load with cold fingers and after a full day of winter jackrabbit shooting a raw thumb is the result. Otherwise it's a pure joy.

I shoot with three guys that shoot 1Bs in K-Hornet (the first change to any Hornet)with barrels shortened to 20 inches and the butt stock shortened by half inch to make them handier to use from the truck while shooting ground squirrels.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Jack,

What is about your max range with the hornet on rabbits? Oh yeah, what kind of glass is mounted? I've been curious about this cartridge for ahwile now. Just don't need another .22 cal rifle right now.

Wachtel, thanks for a good question! I'll probably want a new rifle now....hmmmmmmm.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
AGRecurve---

I shoot 5 K-Hornet rifles year round. 200 yards is about the max but I take many on groundsquirrels further than that. From 150 yards in they're VERY hard to beat. No recoil, very little noise and 3000 fps at the muzzle.

I also have a Fireball shooting 40 Bal Tips and two 6 mm CheapShots shooting 55 gr Bal Tips for longer ranges and bigger prey. (Both wear 4-12x Leupolds.)

The #1a has a Leopold 2-7x compact on it. The others have straight 8x Leupolds, straight 6x Leupolds and one has a matte 3-9x Leupold.

If I HAD to dump all but one center-fire rifle it would be a 22 K-Hornet. I now own (for the third time) the M-43 Winchester I bought used in 1960. It's still shoots several hundred rounds a year into minute of squirrel.