New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana 1999 Rifle actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used the 1999 montana action for a custom rifle? What did you think? I am curious as to the quality of the action and any potential problems that people are having.

Thanks

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I used one for a 338-06 and it's fine. I think it depends on what you're looking for in your custom rifle as the word has a broad range of interpretation. I'm not sure I'd use one for a best quality rifle with bells and whistles as the action would seem out of it's class IMO but fine for hunting rifles with a little class added via a nice stock etc.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
They are as good or in some cases better than the available mass-produced actions as a platform. Now that Winchester doesn't offer the original M-70 trigger, I like them more. But truth be told, you can buy a good used M-70 rifle (or action) or Rem-700 (or action) for less than the cost of a new custom action; even the MCR. Where they shine is in the hard-to-get versions like left-hand or the comming PH that is substantially lower in price than other large magnum actions of it's type.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I bought one off of ARBay and it appears to be a very nice action for a working rifle. I cycled a few .458 Lott dummy rounds thru it and it seems very smooth and is well put toghether.

But it's off to the barrel plumber for a .416 Remington Mag tube (I bought it with the intent of building a .404 but then talked myself into the .416) so I can't tell you how well it feeds or how accurate it is. Waiting is a pain Frowner

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one that is a 30-06 Ackley Improved.

I like it very much.

Unfortunately, the custom stock for it has been under construction for almost 5 years so I haven't been able to hunt with it (not exactly the stockmakers fault as I keep substituting other rifles in the que for completion first).

The only thing that I found that it needed was having the receiver surface polished and cleaned up a bit if you want it to look nice.

If I were putting it in a synthetic stock I wouldn't even do that.

I hear some people complain about the bolt release/stop, but I like it better than the one on Winchester's model 70.

It's a good starting point for a custom.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two, one 270 Win in an Edge synthetic and a 375 H&H in a laminated stock. The 270 is smooth and well finished. It performed without problems for 60-80 rounds, then began to misfire. At the gunsmith's now, probably just getting a new firing pin spring. The 375 is stainless, and a little rough. It hasn't been fired much, and might improve with use.

I have come to prefer Mausers and Pre-64 or Classic M70's over the Montana 1999 as the basis for custom rifles, particularly if they are to get a good walnut stock.

Posts: 80 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have three in our family and used to have 4 before I sold my first Lott (big mistake). All are stainless.
First is a lefty 458 Lott, then a lefty 35 Whelen, and finally my wifes .308.

Only problems we had with any of them was the Lott I sold came with the wrong bolt stop and that was quickly replaced. All four shot, feed, and functioned just fine.

However in my opinion they are not a good choice for building a lightweight rifle.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless M1999 that I purchased for a .375 H&H. The rifle is in a Brockman's stock with a 20" #3 (I think) barrel. With a Zeiss 1.8-5.5 scope, unloaded, the rifle comes in around 9.5# on the bathroom scale. I figure it will be 10# with 4+1 loaded.

I love the overall size, shape, and feel of the rifle but it is a pretty heavy action. On the other hand even 300gr. loads are pretty manageable off the bench. I put 24 rounds downrange last weekend off the bench with no ill-effects.

On the downside, the action on mine is pretty stiff and a bit gritty and definitely needs some working in. It's certainly not as smooth as a Ruger RSM for instance.

I should point out, I have a "working rifle". Brockman's laminated stock (bedded), stainless 20" bbl., "short range" scope. It certainly fits my desires for a short and handy rifle.

Accuracy while getting used to the gun has been abut 1.25" at 100 yards with the 300gr. IL's. We'll see how it does as I get used to it more and work up loads.

My only complaint - it's a gritty action...and I wish I knew that I couldn't get a stainless front sight for a .650 diameter bbl. Gonna have to two-tone the sights now...

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I built one into a .375 H&H. Functions well but took a lot of polishing to get it to feel as smooth as I like. I think that is because it is stainless. It shoots slightly less than a MOA. I used an Accurate Innovations stock in baston walnut. The barrel is from Lilja. It looks as good as it shoots.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made two SS SA's in o .308's no complaints except weight. I still have a CrMOly SA that I have yet to decide what to do with. Since the SA's are actually intermediate length actions and are heavy to boot I am still tempted to make it into a .376 Steyr, I think the biggest round that will fit into an SA. The extra weight will help with recoil reduction.

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great input. That helps a lot.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a stainless lefty from the charter run. It's a long action chambered in 300WSM. I shoot it single-shot as a target gun. Best group ever is a .154" for three pops at 100 yards. It will consistently shoot just under one-half MOA from its 29-inch Krieger barrel if I hold well enough. It weighs a recoil-busting 18 pounds with scope...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote