New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger job help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi i just got a marlin bolt action 917v in .17HMR. But the trigger is too heavey for my taste. I want to lighten it up a bit. Any instructions on how? I already zeroed it so if removeing the stock is required would i lose my zero?

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with that model Marlin, but a slight zero shift is likely when removing it from the stock. If you go to a good auto store, you can get a sheet of 1500 grit polishing paper, and just smooth up the notches that release the striker. You can find the spots you need to polish by watching the trigger operation with the stock removed(and no ammo, of course!). If you stick with the 1500 grit, you can't take off more than one thousandth of metal, so you wont ruin anything. A dab of moly grease on the trigger pins, and sear notch also helps a lot.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion. It has been my experience that trigger-pull weight is often used as a substitute for obtaining a nice crisp trigger release. In other words, the objectional “feel†isn’t the weight of the pull as much as it is the smoothness and crispness of pull and let off. Just reducing the weight doesn’t cure the problem, and it is way too easy to keep going lighter and lighter trying to get that “feel“ only to end up with an unsafe weight of pull...that still feels like crap.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're not familiar with firearm triggers and how they work, then you should seek the services of a professional gunsmith who is experienced with tuning these particular triggers.

Unlike other triggers where you might get away with turning a screw or two to improve the pull, these particular triggers require sear angle changes to make them right. Depending on how much change you have to make, you may need to rebuild the safety system for it to work properly afterwards. Save yourself some headaches and potential legal problems and hire this done.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Rifle Basix sells a drop in trigger, check Midway

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks i think im gonna take it to a smith. thought it would be as simple to lighten as the accutrigger on my savage.

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Ggo to http://www.rimfirecentral.com they have a section for Marlin shooters and just about every trick or tip that you could want for rimfires.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote