Find
Notify
Tools

ADL to BDL
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted
I'm new to this so I need to ask: I have and ADL and would like to fit it to a stock for a BDL. What do I need to make this happen? The trigger guard and floorplate? Are these available used?

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very timely question!!! I just purchased a Rem 700 ADL in .222 Remington and may want to do this very same thing.

Catch ya L8R

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only difference is the trigger guard and the mag box.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually you need 4 parts to change from adl to bdl. They are Floorplate/triggerguard, mag box, mag follower and mag spring. Brownell sells a kit with all the parts in it. they run around $130 give or take $10 or $20. Hope this helps. Rich

Posts: 113 | Location: WIsconsin | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The spring and follower are the same part #’s for both ADL’s and BDL’s...the only difference is the triggerguard/floorplate assembly (not separate parts) and the magazine box.

The Remington factory guards are aluminum if that matters to you.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a nit pick point on differences....the safety of my ADL conversion allows the bolt to be cycled with the safety on. My father's BDL locks the bolt with the safety on. That is how he used to confirm the safety was off, the bolt would operate. He lost a big Mulie because of it 2-years ago. He borrowed my ADL to BDL conversion in '06. His is a 6mm. Safety off, (bolt operates) and chamber empty, went on his merry way. Saw a big buck, chambered a round, and squeezed, and squeezed, and squeezed some more. Dooooh!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know that’s not an “ADL/BDL†thing...it’s an older versus newer thing.

I own four 700 BDL’s and all of them will allow the bolt to be cycled with the safety on.

one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure Rick is correct about the safety being an older verses newer situation. If I'm not mistaken Remington was doing a recall to convert the old guns to where the bolt would open when on safe. I don't know if they're still doing it.

Tom

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tdobesh,

Remington removed the bolt lock feature in 1982. If you look at the area just inside the bolt handle recess on any 700 receiver you will see a slot that has no apparent reason for being there. This is the slot where the bolt stop used to reside.

Timney still sells a trigger assembly with a three position safety that locks the bolt on 700’s for those that like that feature.

As for carrying a 700 (with or without a bolt lock) with the safety off and no round in the chamber... then chambering a round and pulling the trigger with nothing happening...I’m not quite sure how that could happen!

All of my 700’s cock when the bolt is opened and when I close it and a round is chambered when the trigger is pulled with the safety off the gun always seems to go BANG for some reason! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
You also need to get a longer screw for the front of the trigger guard the ADL screw is too short.. I know this because I just did this conversion today.. You can try ebay for the parts, sometimes you can get them for a fair price..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old Cane,

Do yourself a favor if you want to do this conversion...BUY NEW PARTS!

The only part that is “expensive†is the triggerguard/floorplate assembly. A brand new mag box and new guard screws will set you back less than $20 bucks!

If you go with a steel after market guard (Badger, Sunny Hill, etc) they will come with the proper screws...but at about three times the cost of a brand new factory aluminum guard...worth it, in my opinion.

Your other option, if you want to go with the factory aluminum guard is to contact some gunsmiths that work on 700’s and see if they have any laying around from customers who have switched to steel ones. I doubt that you will find many used ones that are that much cheaper than new ones though...but that’s your choice. New ones sell for about $80 bucks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for carrying a 700 (with or without a bolt lock) with the safety off and no round in the chamber... then chambering a round and pulling the trigger with nothing happening...I’m not quite sure how that could happen!

Well, easy, it is on safe and you think it is not. All works the same with the newer ones regardless of safety postion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Safety off, (bolt operates) and chamber empty, went on his merry way. Saw a big buck, chambered a round, and squeezed, and squeezed, and squeezed some more. Dooooh!!

Read your post again! You said the safety was “off†and he chambered a round and pulled the trigger...and nothing happened. I didn’t write it...you did.

One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
thanks guys. I got a great deal on an ADL recently. B&C makes a weatherby type stock with the al bedding block but it only fits a BDL. I may try to find another good deal on one with a beat up stock. this one is in VG to Ex condition.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Remington's Web Site, yes, they are still doing the conversion.

They consider it a safety issue (particularly on ADL's)
because otherwise the rifle cannot be emptied with the safety on.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
Isn't it odd that something that was considered safe 20 years ago is now unsafe? Gee, when I was a kid I had candy made with sugar too and still knew what "no" and "sit still" meant. Oh well. I know better than to get started on this kind stuff.