Find
Notify
Tools

Rebore or Rebarrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted
I recently picked a Winchester Model 70 in 7mm STW. I am considering turning the rifle into a 300 H&H. My quandry concerns weather to rebore/rechamber the exsisting barrel or to just go for a new barrel.

This rifle is the "Classic" form and it matches my 416 Safari Classic pretty well. I believe this would make a very nice African battery when completed and it seems nearly impossible to find a Win Mod 70 at a reasonable price, so when this rifle came available at a good price I immediatey thought of the conversion.

I appreicate all thoughts here. If you suggest a rebore, do you have recommendations for this work.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1218 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted Hide Post
Call Jim Dubell at Delta Gun shop. He is a straight shooter. He will price out your various options and let you decide. He rebored my 375H&H to 500 Jeffery with great sucess.

Brad Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Oh shoot fellows, I wanted to post thisin the "gunsmithing" forum. So I am going to move it there now. Sorry for the confusion.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1218 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you rebore the barrel you'll end up with a .308 STW that needs to be neck and throat reamed. The H&H has much less body taper than the STW and the chamber won't clean up without setting it back considerably. I'd rebarrel if it was mine. The 300 H&H Ack Imp or the 300 Ultra Mag would clean the chamber up without setting it back though.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you rebore the barrel you'll end up with a .308 STW that needs to be neck and throat reamed. The H&H has much less body taper than the STW and the chamber won't clean up without setting it back considerably. I'd rebarrel if it was mine. The 300 H&H Ack Imp or the 300 Ultra Mag would clean the chamber up without setting it back though.

X2

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give Danny Pedersen, Cutright Barrels, a call. He is in Prescott, AZ.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote