THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just a Small Can of Worms - The Can is closed!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

I am hiring an excellent Gunsmith to make a 404 Jeffery (0.423" bore diameter).
The choice is between a #4 barrel at 26" with a .650" diameter, yielding wall thickness of 0.113"
The alternative is a #5 barrel at 26" with a .700" diameter, yielding wall thickness of 0.1385"

Is the lighter barrel going to be too "whippy"?
Is the heavier barrel going to be too sluggish?

The banded front sight will be soldered on, as will the sling swivel band. the rear sight will have enough barrel meat for a screw, and soldering.

With the big hole, the barrel weight will be modest in any case.

Anyone with experience in this area is asked to share experiences. I will lend you flak vests and helemts.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that is your gunsmith I want her address!!!!!!! All the smiths I know are ugly, grouchy old men!!!!

tu2

Posts: 41869 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
If that is your gunsmith I want her address!!!!!!! All the smiths I know are ugly, grouchy old men!!!!

tu2

I was about to say the same thing!

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Didn't know Rebecca Mornay was a gunsmith.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
A Douglas #5 contour barrel in that caliber will not be heavy for caliber. That would be considered a varmint barrel if it was a .22 or .24 but a large bore will take a lot of the metal away. For a .40+ caliber it's about the right weight. A 24" Douglas #5 barrel in .243 caliber will weight 4.15 pounds but the same barrel in .423 caliber will only weigh 3.5 pounds.

When I was looking for a barrel have installed on my .405 caliber I chose a Douglas #5 contour (made by McGowen). It also happens to be the contour Winchester was using on some of their .375 Safari rifles.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#4 Kreiger is plenty heavy, ...the 5130 contour by Lother Walther makes a dandy 404, comes in a little lighter than Kreiger.

By the time you add sights/swivels, the weight starts climbing fast

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
When inquiring about barrel contours it is important to remember that a Douglas #4 is different than a Kreiger #4 and those are both different than a McGowen #4.

Lilja has a very handy list of factory barrel contours. You can use it to compare barrel specifications used for the large caliber pre-64 model 70, post 64 model 70, Ruger No.1, Remington, Whitworth Express, Montana, Kimber, etc. It is really interesting. Maybe it will be helpful.

It's here: http://riflebarrels.com/factory-contours/

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am basically looking at a .650 diameter muzzle versus a .700". I did some calculations (The Pac-Nor calculator is down). It drove home to me how much that big hole drives the weight down. I will take Duane's words about the frou-frou stuff on the barrel driving the weight up. Perhaps I will just use a mini electronic sight (RMR, J-Point, Docktor, etc.) as an "Iron" sight. It will all depend on how the gun swings with a naked barrel.

Thanks for all the help,
'dart

My gunsmith is named Becky.
She is not worth a shit on the mill, or lathe, but I could not care less...

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
LD also consider the diameter of the barrel at its midsection.
That will make a difference in the weight and "stiffness "

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will do that D. It was recently explained to me that modern barrel makers tend to overbuild the receiver end of their stocks before letting them taper into wands. I will look at that midpoint measurement to get a feel for the stiffness of a given barrrel.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The .660 muzzle diameter on the Zastava 458 Win Mag (wall thickness .101") felt like a buggy whip. I could never get comfortable shouldering it as it felt like the balance point was around the rear grip.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
#4 Kreiger is plenty heavy, ...the 5130 contour by Lother Walther makes a dandy 404, comes in a little lighter than Kreiger.

By the time you add sights/swivels, the weight starts climbing fast

Duane,
What is your preferred finish length using the 5130 contour for a 404 build?

Posts: 163 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cannot answer for Duane, but I am using a 26" barrel (Finished length).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 404J does not really have a large bore.

I would choose the lighter contour for an overall lighter rifle. Of course it should be well balanced. 23-24" would be my choice.

Look forward to photos whatever you choose.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1930 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart,
You certainly have a handsome gunsmith. Does she work for you exclusively?
Dave

Posts: 116 | Location: kamiah idaho | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure. I can say that she shows up often enough for work. Anything beyond that, well, I don't know, or care.
When I ask her, "Who's your daddy," she says, "Oh, you are." That answers all my needs, and desires.

When we are in the duck and goose blinds, she got a little confused the first time the guide said "TAKE EM." That actually worked out fine. About mid season, we straightened that out, and now it is all one well oiled machine.

So long as my first wife doesn't show up, it will all be skittles and kippers.