Find
Notify
Tools

870 wing master barrel fix
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EZMONEY
posted
I came across a 870 12 gauge full choke barrel that had been cut off at 17inches and then a sleeve added to make it 20 inches long. The sleeve is not removable.Has any one else seen this and is it BATF legal.It looks as if it was done by a professional.The choke is more open than cylinder now. I plan on calling the BATF But it has been my experience. If you call them twice and ask the same question you get three different answers. any help out there EZ

Posts: 36 | Location: Jacksonville Arkansas | Registered: 13 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a barrel come in split to where it was just shy of legal length when cut back past the damage. Hard soldering a choke sleeve brought it back to legal length. Today, I would simply TIG the sleeve in place. As long as it is seen as a permanent extension, I don't believe ATF would have any problems with it. After all, pinning and welding an extension to an 11" AR-15 barrel to make it 16" is permissible.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Here's the copy and paste version and the link.

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

ATF LINK

The ATF has some funky requirements but nothing really weird.

The one issue to pay attention to is constructive possession. if someone just waltzed in off the street with a problem rifle or shotgun and you chop the barrel off under the legal length then clean up and go to bed leaving the shotgun/ rifle with the barrel removed, you may have an issue if you local ATF agent decides to pay you a visit. You would be in possession of a SBR/SBS. I realize this is highly unlikely but stranger things have happened.
So it needs to be painfully obvious to the potential agent that this was a repair in progress

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
if someone just waltzed in off the street with a problem rifle or shotgun and you chop the barrel off under the legal length then clean up and go to bed leaving the shotgun/ rifle with the barrel removed, you may have an issue if you local ATF agent decides to pay you a visit. You would be in possession of a SBR/SBS

If the guy waltzes into a licensed gunshop to have repairs made, it can sit at below legal length until the repairs are complete and it leaves the shop. A weapon doesn't become a SBR or SBS until the barrel is attached to the action and waltzes off the licensed premises. I have cut off pieces of gun barrels all over the place here. Until they are attached to something, they are nothing but pieces of steel.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I realize we are talking about Federal law here but In my neck o the woods the Feds are nuts over Constructive possession. Been more then one guy out here busted for it while building a perfectly legal rifle.

It's even worse with AR pistols

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote