New
Find
Notify
Tools

Potential accuracy of rifled 12 bore?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While I am uncertain whether Winchester made a solid frame Model 12 shotgun, I know that Model 97s were made as solid frame at least through World War I. Since the Model 12 locks breech bolt to receiver and Model 97 locks breech bolt to its shell lifter (I don't know its correct nomenclature) that is anchored to receiver - more substantially than Model 12's lock-up - what sort of accuracy might be expected from a circa 1950s Model 12 and/or 97 installed with rifled barrel of satisfactory wall thickness using the general purpose slug load in John Taylor's African Rifles and Cartridges - that is, 12 gauge, 7 dram [equivalent], 750-grain bullet, 1550 fps, 6.0 [long??] tons pressure. I anticipate currently manufactured high brass cases will accept the loading.

While load's pressure is nearly that of proof load for 12 gauge shotguns, the two Winchesters are egregiously over designed. By its nature, such a load would be used "sparingly."

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1507 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester's solid frame version of the Model 12 is known as the Model 25 - made in the mid 50's in 2 3/4 inch only.

Posts: 46 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts if one is going to shoot hot slugs loads out of a rifle barrel.

Buy a more modern shot gun that set up for it.

They can shoot really nice groups.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would agree that you need to go with a more modern design. My preference would be a Winchester 1200-1300 with a rotating bolt head that locks directly to the barrel extension. Others in that category are Benelli and Stoeger pumps. Some makers use a set screw to firmly secure the receiver to the barrel extension. Usually through the left receiver wall on a right hand gun. Remington uses this in their 870 rifled pumps.

Accuracy: There are Youtube videos of exeptional groups at up to 250 yds. I've seen 2-3 in 100 yd groups with Remington premium Sabot rounds.

Are you using cast lead bullets? Paper patched or plastic sabot? Sounds like you envision a close quarters emergency stopping rifle?

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ithaca deerslayer

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. The rotating bolt head is a very good idea for this application. Strong.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I've owned a Winchester 1200 pump since 1972. I when I moved to NH, I bought a rifled slug barrel for it, since most of where I hunted was shotgun only. Shoots better than minute-of-deer, maybe 3" groups.

As Bob said, it is a strong, rotating bolt design and takes 3" magnums without issue.

If ever I have to sell my guns, it will be one of the last to go..

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote