THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Timney safety on Turk '98...what am I doing wrong?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Timney safety on Turk '98...what am I doing wrong?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Hart, the penny worked perfectly. Wonder why timney has such good instructions and doesnt mention that the bolt has to be uncocked to work...anyway, thanks for the help.

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried to fit a Timney Beuler-type safety on a turk 98 I have this evening, and it wouldnt work. Here is what I did:

I read the instructions first,

then disassembled the bolt,

removed the mil-spec safety,

disassembled timney safety,

replaced long shaft of safety with spring installed in bolt sleeve,

fitted timney handle on safety,

checked for motion-safety works,

beveled 45 degree angle on cocking piece, per instructions

assembled bolt sleeve onto firing pin and spring,

replaced cocking piece,

engaged safety with spring compressed,

reinstalled into bolt body.

At that point the bolt sleeve would not fully thread into bolt body, was about 1 turn out. I disassembled and rotated cocking piece 180 degrees, no luck. I checked for burrs and lightly filed couple burrs, (they were there before replacement), still stops about one turn out. What gives?????

BTW, just to prove to myself I wasnt going crazy, I then reinstalled the mil-spec safety, it works perfect.

Thanks,

Eterry

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't give you the answer,but I do know the folks at Timney are great to talk to and could help you in the am.

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd think the safety needs to be in the off position to be able to screw on the cocking piece. The notches on the end of the round part are not the same as the military safety. The bolt will be in the lock position when the safety is applied. Compress the spring and put a penny between the shroud and cocking piece.

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote