Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser ID help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

Saw a M98 today in 25-06 AI and am wondering about the receiver; it is merely stamped Mod 98 on the outside wall of the receiver.

Any help?

Thanks,

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only Mauser actions marked Mod 98 were post WW1 military. Proofs on bolt or on receiver ring would tell the tale as to origin.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll call the place and see if they can provide me with those bits of info and I'll post it here for more help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called back and the only other identifying information on the receiver was the following on the top of the front receiver ring:

BYF 41 and serial number on the side reading 7217.

Any further help identifying this action would be appreciated and assuming 95% condition or better is this a good buy for $250?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
byf Mauser, Oberndorf 1941-45

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Petrov:
byf Mauser, Oberndorf 1941-45

Correct.

Here is an excellent LINK to a thread that lists all of the manufacturing codes.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
assuming 95% condition or better is this a good buy for $250?

If it isn't botched then probably. Consider that it costs at least that just to rebarrel a receiver.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Would this be an appropriate action for either a 318 WR or a 9.3x62?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure would be as far as suitability for purpose is concerned, but I just can't bring myself to invest in a project like that with Nazi proofs remaining after completion. My suggestion would be to use it as is and invest in a an action that is not wartime Nazi for your 9.3 or 318 project.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
Thanks, guys. Would this be an appropriate action for either a 318 WR or a 9.3x62?

If the action itself is in good condition, yes.

I for one view turning old battle rifles into fine hunting implements as a real life example of turning "swords into plowshares."

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote