New
Find
Notify
Tools

1100 Magnum with 2.75" shells
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking of buying an old 1100 3" gun. I believe these won't cycle with 2 3/4" shells without some work. Gander Mountain offers a conversion. What work's required, and does it make them reliable cyclers with 2 3/4" shells?

Thanks,

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
I'm thinking of buying an old 1100 3" gun. I believe these won't cycle with 2 3/4" shells without some work. Gander Mountain offers a conversion. What work's required, and does it make them reliable cyclers with 2 3/4" shells?

Thanks,

Steve

Some stock 3 inch mag 1100's will function with 2 3/4" shells and some won't. Remington say's they are not supposed to, but, some will. The last one I made feed the 2 3/4" shells only required enlarging the gas port "a little" to get the action to cycle with the lighter loads. It's been some time since I've done this so please forgive me if I can't recall the required size at the moment. If you attempt this on your own, I would recommend increasing the size in no more than .010" increments until she functions 100 percent.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my advice and expierience may differ from others but for what it is worth.

the two i had worked with all three inch loadings. they also worked with all of the heavy 2 3/4 inch loadings. in early dove season it would even function with federal light loads with the 1 1/8 ounce loading. most of the light promo shells wouldn't operate the gun.

if you get it keep it clean, the gas ports clear, the mag tube dry and the o ring fresh. it may surprise you how well it works with the lighter loads, especially on a older , broken in gun.

Posts: 980 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I have had some luck with the few 1100s that I owned. coffee I found that in colder weather late in the season it would not function and became a single shot 1100. To cure this problem without changing it's 3 inch status I picked up another 2 3/4 inch barrel. I wouldn't monkey with the gas port. Just replace the gas port with a 2 3/4 inch barrel and you still have a magnum. Barrels can be found fairly reasonable nowadays. You have the best of both worlds. You might even luck out and get a used barrel with chokes tubes in it, wouldn't that be just swell? fishing.

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olcrip:
I wouldn't monkey with the gas port. Just replace the gas port with a 2 3/4 inch barrel and you still have a magnum.

Carefully enlarging the gas port doesn't affect the magnum status. It will still handle magnums, and he can use the money he saved from not purchasing another barrel, for beer. And that would be even sweller... beer

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Originally posted by olcrip:
I wouldn't monkey with the gas port. Just replace the gas port with a 2 3/4 inch barrel and you still have a magnum.

Carefully enlarging the gas port doesn't affect the magnum status. It will still handle magnums, and he can use the money he saved from not purchasing another barrel, for beer. And that would be even sweller... beer

If you enlarge the gas port you alter the gas metering. thumbdown On heavy 1 7/8 oz. loads you will be in essence shaking the gun apart by slamming the action open and closed. The 2 3/4 barrel has 2 gas ports and the magnum only 1. In cold weather without the second port it won't eject lighter loads, it has happened to me on a out of state duck hunt. I was lucky to have my wifes 870 along to save the trip. Cheaper in the long run to just buy another used tube and spare the gun any undue stress. The gas port is designed to meter the flow of gas pressure to the actuater, to much and it will eventually shake apart. Buy the used tube, you won't be sorry. fishing

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the replies.

I talked to a guy at Gander Mountain. He said they drill and tap a second hole in their conversion, and they send a set screw with it to plug the second hole for the use of 3" shells.

I was also thinking of reaming and tapping for RemChokes, as the barrel's fixed full choke, so maybe a second barrel's better. But I think I'd still want a different choke in the 3" barrel to handle steel or hevi-shot.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love 1100's. I have four of them, the most recent purchased for $200 at a pawn shop yesterday!

That said, I honestly think you would be money ahead to just find an 11/87 that will handle both 2 3/4 and 3" shells. Failing that, find two 1100's -- one magnum and one standard. Having choke tubes added is straightforward. It'll cost you around $75 to have the barrel threaded. You can buy tubes for whatever thread system you use at Brownells.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote