Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 ultra mag... something wrong
 Login/Join

posted
my budie has a 338remington ultra mag.... he had a guy reload him 250 nosler bullets with 89 grains of powder(dont know what powder but max load) he got sever pancaking on his primer.since then he has loaded everything from 84 grains to 88 grains still with the same results.. the caseing are now getting stuck in his barrel.. now his extractor wont pick up the case... his neck of his case is also swelling ..he cases are stretching about 2000. any one think what im thinking the max load has possibly ruind his chamber? why would even factory loads give him pancaking and a little ring outside the primer strke .. any oppionons would be great...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chessy, what rifle does your friend have? Can you find out what powder these handloads were loaded with? Did he fire any factory loads through the rifle before the max loads were fired in it? If he has, did the factory ammo have cratered primers after they were shot? I don't think the max loads damaged the chamber in his rifle, however the bolt may have suffered some damage. If this is a Remington model 700 the extractor may have been a casualty as they are often damaged with hot loads. A lot of 700 owners have them changed out by a smithy and have a Sako extrator installed. I wish he lived near me so I could have him shoot some of my handloads through it and see what they looked like. I have never had any pressure signs in my Sendero but I don't load it to the max as I've seen no reason to push it that hard.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 icr
Remington brass
Remington primer 9.5 m
Imr 7828 89 grains 250 nosler partition and
hornady spire tip
here is some more info... dont know if means anything
bolt face diam 551
from extractor to inside wall 530
pin hole .080

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
Chessy: Lots of times flattened primers are because of a headspace problem. Sounds like his headspace might be a little long. He can check it with a Go/No Go guage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or just don't full length resize the case! Adjust the dies to bump the shoulder a thou or two and wallah..no more headspace problems. Does it flatten the primers on factory ammo? If not that should tell you something!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that upon reloading the second time, his primer pockets will be loose. I say that because R-P primers are physically smaller than Federals. My point? Use Federal 215s!
Secondly, there is no mention of cartridge over all length, and I'm betting the bullets are seated too close, if not already touching the lands, thus pressure signs. With 250 grain partitions, I have charged cases with more than 90 grains of IMR7828 and fired them in both the 700 and Sendero without issue.
Third, as others have mentioned -headspace-. I doubt a new Remington has headspace issues, but it's possible. More likely than not, is that the resizing operation was done improperly (read excessive resizing) generating a headspace condition that otherwise (manufacturer defect) doesn't exist.
Lastly, your friend needs to find a different other guy to do his reloading. The moral of this story is like all other reloading stories: start low and work up. Sounds like this is something the other guy doesn't know.