THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: How to remove recoil pad from a McMillan stock?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How to remove recoil pad from a McMillan stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yep, I called Mcmillan a while back about this. Their pads are put on with a 5 minute epoxy. Grinding/cutting is about the best way for removal.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Long Bob

Most of the synthetic stocks I've dealt with had the pads epoxied on. I'm not sure about McMillan. Rem Classics are glued on. I've had to saw the pads off with a band saw when they needed to come off. Use a metal cutting blade in case there are screws in it. Cut to within 1/8" of the stock then grind the rest off with a belt or disc sander.

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

And you know how men behave when they are getting desperate.

Yep, desperate enough to dip them in flour!

It's gotta be here somewhere, it's gotta be here somewhere, I KNOW it's here somewhere!

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I wish they would screw them on instead. I've had synthetic rifle stocks (the cheapo's) that were screwed on. This may be more hassle than it's worth.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definitly glued on and there is metal where it joins the stock. I've drilled into the foam and epoxied in wooden dowels to mount new pads.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Should I dip them in flour?

I wonder how many guys are wondering what use flour has in relationship to gunsmithing?!?

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
CB,

You got me. I was getting desperate. And you know how men behave when they are getting desperate.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Stop! I almost ruined my keyboard.